Mysterious trunk door openings

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Green Guy
Default Mysterious trunk door openings

The next morning after we bought the 2008 Camry, my wife and I found the trunk open. The car was parked outside in the rain. Neither of us thought we had left the trunk open, because the last time we had seen the car it had been fine, but I accepted that someone made a mistake.

Two weeks later though, same problem. This time I was the last to use the car, and I drove it 15 kilometres after closing the trunk. Between the time I eyed it as I walked into the house and the next morning, the door opened again.

The dealer thought I might have triggered the trunk release accidentally by touching the SmartKey in my pocket. But I couldn't simulate that at all. It takes a firm, long push to open the trunk remotely. After checking the sensors and finding nothing wrong, and with no other such issue reported through official channels, the dealer is contacting Toyota.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening? Anyone with a similar problem?

Thanks

Old 10-26-2007, 10:05 AM
blahhhhhh!
Default Re: Mysterious trunk door openings

this happened to me like 2 days ago. I didn't even have the keys in my pocket, they were hanging up! The trunk was closed when I went to bed and was open when I went out to go to work the next morning. I live near a maximum security prison so now I'm a little paranoid to leave my car parked outside in the event there's a prison break and my trunk decides to pop open in the middle of the night again

Old 10-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hycambrid
The next morning after we bought the 2008 Camry, my wife and I found the trunk open. The car was parked outside in the rain. Neither of us thought we had left the trunk open, because the last time we had seen the car it had been fine, but I accepted that someone made a mistake.

Two weeks later though, same problem. This time I was the last to use the car, and I drove it 15 kilometres after closing the trunk. Between the time I eyed it as I walked into the house and the next morning, the door opened again.

The dealer thought I might have triggered the trunk release accidentally by touching the SmartKey in my pocket. But I couldn't simulate that at all. It takes a firm, long push to open the trunk remotely. After checking the sensors and finding nothing wrong, and with no other such issue reported through official channels, the dealer is contacting Toyota.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening? Anyone with a similar problem?

Thanks
Not the trunk but all kinds of crazy chit has happened. Garage doors opening and closing in middle of nite, electronic gate doing the same at times, I have left the car at my other place and everything is ok when car is not at home. Must be something to do with frequencies. Garage doors and gate have the security (rolling codes). Also Have been inside of stores and the horn starts blowing like the alarm going off with no one around. There is a lot of spooky chit with these cars. At my Docs office another fellow has a TCH and he cannot unlock his car at times and I can parked rite beside him, figure that out. He also says his skylite opens randomly and the %itch on the phone menu swears at him at times lol

Old 10-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yikes!

Hope it doesn't happen to me!

Old 10-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Green Guy

Katie, I'm sorry you're having the same problem, but it is useful to know that I'm not the only one. I'll report this to the dealer and you might want to as well. There has to be a solution to this.

When I questioned the dealer about possible frequency interference from a neighbor, I was told that each Camry has its own frequency so that couldn't happen. But I'm wondering more about that now.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

About two weeks of ownership, my wife drove to work as normal. She had only been there about an hour when a fellow employee told her that the trunk was open on her car. She closed the trunk and we wrote it off as a possible mistake on our part. Now that other people seem to have the same problem I guess we'll have to rethink the glitch. By the way, this has only happened once in over a year of ownership.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:33 PM
blahhhhhh!

Originally Posted by hycambrid
When I questioned the dealer about possible frequency interference from a neighbor, I was told that each Camry has its own frequency so that couldn't happen. But I'm wondering more about that now.

Odd, neither of my neighbors have cars with trunks. One has a ford focus hatchback and another has a dodge Durango... So I don't think either of their codes would interfere with a Camry, but who knows.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've owned my TCH for 8 months and haven't experienced that problem

Old 10-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Green Guy

Katie: Do your neighbors have garage door openers? My nearest neighbors do. I'm wondering if there could be a connection, since nothing else seems an obvious possibility besides other car door openers.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:36 PM
blahhhhhh!

the closest neighbor with a garage is about... 2000 feet away? and up a hill. We have a garage but we don't put the cars in it til winter, so we haven't been opening the doors

Quick Reply: Mysterious trunk door openings

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands