NAV - Hacks to unlock the blocked features

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NAV - Hacks to unlock the blocked features

Originally Posted by Joe.B
The VAIS SL2Vi is now working well in my TCH 2007. The video looks and sounds great.

The problem I had getting the video to work was the PKB (parking brake) signal to the NAV unit has to be ON. My car did not even have a parking brake wire going to the NAV screen. If you go to the NAV screen signal for this (go to diagnostic menu, and go to the screen on the NAV unit that tells you if PKB, REV, etc is on or off; see https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f...en-menu-11376/ for how to get there) you will see that PKB is OFF regardless of whether the real parking brake is on or off.

The PKB sensor is at pin 1 of the 5 connector grey plug that also carries the speed sensor wire on pin 3 (purple wire) and the reverse sensor wire on pin 5. There is also a black wire on pin 2 (not sure what this is for). This 5 pin grey connector is called R12 in the diagram at https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f...ictures-11672/ and once I put in a pin to connect it to ground by bolting the wire from pin 1 that I inserted to the NAV body, the PKB signal on the NAV on the diagnostic screen went to ON. Once this happened, the video worked great.

So far, the VAIS SL2Vi is working great for both audio and video in TCH 2007 I have. SOund and picture is outstanding. Now for some test drives to see if it will still be working when the car is moving.
Joe
Cool. Can it handle video from other sources? Say, DVD player?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Enthusiast

Mike,
don't know yet if DVD will play video on NAV. So far, what is clear about the video on NAV is:

Using the VAIS SL2Vi and video ipod
-the video plays very well on the NAV screen when parked if you ground the parking brake sensor pin (that does not even have a wire going to it in TCH 2007)
-when the car starts in motion, the video stops, though the sound continues
-if you cut the speed sensor wire and bring it to a switch so one side is factory default (speed sensor wire as is originally) and the other side of the switch the wire is cut, then when you "cut the wire" by flipping the switch the video stays on while in motion for about half a minute then stops. If you flip the switch to factory default and wait a minute then flip again, you can get another half min of video before it stops. So the NAV is smart enough (or has other sensor wires) to detect that parking break=ON and speed=0 while car is moving is a hack and the video stops after half a min.

What I suspect is possible but don't know how to do it yet is
-get the ipod video to play while moving
-get a video switcher that allows headrest DVDs to play on NAV
Questions for these issues are
-what has to be bypassed?
-and for the video switcher, does the DVD output have to be adapted in some way for the RGB of the NAV screen
If anyone had figured these items out, please post a comment.
Joe

Old 05-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe.B
Mike,
don't know yet if DVD will play video on NAV. So far, what is clear about the video on NAV is:

Using the VAIS SL2Vi and video ipod
-the video plays very well on the NAV screen when parked if you ground the parking brake sensor pin (that does not even have a wire going to it in TCH 2007)
-when the car starts in motion, the video stops, though the sound continues
-if you cut the speed sensor wire and bring it to a switch so one side is factory default (speed sensor wire as is originally) and the other side of the switch the wire is cut, then when you "cut the wire" by flipping the switch the video stays on while in motion for about half a minute then stops. If you flip the switch to factory default and wait a minute then flip again, you can get another half min of video before it stops. So the NAV is smart enough (or has other sensor wires) to detect that parking break=ON and speed=0 while car is moving is a hack and the video stops after half a min.

What I suspect is possible but don't know how to do it yet is
-get the ipod video to play while moving
-get a video switcher that allows headrest DVDs to play on NAV
Questions for these issues are
-what has to be bypassed?
-and for the video switcher, does the DVD output have to be adapted in some way for the RGB of the NAV screen
If anyone had figured these items out, please post a comment.
Joe
To get the video playing while moving, look into a speed pulse generator. I put one in my TCH, and while I don't have an SL2Vi (yet), all the normally locked out functions of my SL2i are accessible when turning on the speed pulse generator.

More information on building or buying and installing one can be found here:

http://www.pinemountainfirearms.com/...peedPulse.aspx

Old 05-16-2008, 05:41 AM
Enthusiast

toutSuite,
Earlier this month I read the tundrasolutions.com threads on the speed pulse generator (SPG) and thought, as you did, that might be the solution. I got and installed one. The switch now switches between factory default for the speed sensor wire and the SPG input into the speed sensor wire. The good and bad news is
GOOD: it works great for unblocking most functions when you drive, and no need for software solutions of the 5.2 kwi file on 6.1 or 7.1 map disks - it is also easier for input - just flip a switch. Glad I did it
BAD: it does not unblock the video while driving. When the SPG is switched on it triggers the video to switch repeatedly between video and map every second or two. See my post on this along with the SPG creator's comments confirming this at
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...s-all-time-10/

Joe

Old 05-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Joe,

Thank you for the detailed response! Safety restrictions are a real pain in the butt. Too much trying to protect people from themselves.

Have you attempted to use the software override feature instead of a SPG?

Mike

Old 05-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast

Joe -

Well, that's disappointing to hear. I'm not 100% sure there is a workable solution, in that case, unless you could somehow also temporarily disconnect the GPS and gyro sensor wires, to truly make the car think it's not moving. I'm not even sure that would be enough, and at that point you're cutting and splicing a lot of wires with lots of potential side effects.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's interesting on the video input and the speed pulse generator.

Here's a thought. Try applying +12 to the reverse wire running to the Nav as well. Usually these inputs are installed to work with backup cameras. If the Nav thinks the car is in reverse, it "might" not cut out when the speed pulse generator sends it's pulse.

Cheers!

Dang

Old 05-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Jer
Don't taze me bro!

Originally Posted by Dang
That's interesting on the video input and the speed pulse generator.

Here's a thought. Try applying +12 to the reverse wire running to the Nav as well. Usually these inputs are installed to work with backup cameras. If the Nav thinks the car is in reverse, it "might" not cut out when the speed pulse generator sends it's pulse.

Cheers!

Dang
I seriously doubt it wants you inputing an address while backing up. Not to mention won't the screen go to the reverse camera (even if disconnected if activated to accept the override from the reverse input wire) causing the screen to either show the video or a blank video signal?

Old 05-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jer
I seriously doubt it wants you inputing an address while backing up. Not to mention won't the screen go to the reverse camera (even if disconnected if activated to accept the override from the reverse input wire) causing the screen to either show the video or a blank video signal?

I was responding to Joe.B, specifically this:

"BAD: it does not unblock the video while driving. When the SPG is switched on it triggers the video to switch repeatedly between video and map every second or two. See my post on this along with the SPG creator's comments confirming this at
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...s-all-time-10/"

I think that's exactly his goal. I assume he wants the screen to show video while driving. If you connect the reverse wire, and use the SPG, it will actually think you are backing up very slowly, exactly the condition when it would activate the reverse camera right? You'd need to switch the reverse wire off (and perhaps the SPG depending what you want to do) to use other functions like Nav.

Not sure if it will work, but it's a thought. You might end up with the "Check your surroundings" message though.

Cheers!

Dang

Old 05-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Jer
Don't taze me bro!

Originally Posted by Dang
I was responding to Joe.B, specifically this:

"BAD: it does not unblock the video while driving. When the SPG is switched on it triggers the video to switch repeatedly between video and map every second or two. See my post on this along with the SPG creator's comments confirming this at
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...s-all-time-10/"

I think that's exactly his goal. I assume he wants the screen to show video while driving. If you connect the reverse wire, and use the SPG, it will actually think you are backing up very slowly, exactly the condition when it would activate the reverse camera right? You'd need to switch the reverse wire off (and perhaps the SPG depending what you want to do) to use other functions like Nav.

Not sure if it will work, but it's a thought. You might end up with the "Check your surroundings" message though.

Cheers!

Dang
10-4. I misunderstood what was trying to be accomplished with this.

Quick Reply: NAV - Hacks to unlock the blocked features

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands