NAV - Hacks to unlock the blocked features

Old 05-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NAV - Hacks to unlock the blocked features

Originally Posted by Dang
I was responding to Joe.B, specifically this:

"BAD: it does not unblock the video while driving. When the SPG is switched on it triggers the video to switch repeatedly between video and map every second or two. See my post on this along with the SPG creator's comments confirming this at
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...s-all-time-10/"

I think that's exactly his goal. I assume he wants the screen to show video while driving. If you connect the reverse wire, and use the SPG, it will actually think you are backing up very slowly, exactly the condition when it would activate the reverse camera right? You'd need to switch the reverse wire off (and perhaps the SPG depending what you want to do) to use other functions like Nav.

Not sure if it will work, but it's a thought. You might end up with the "Check your surroundings" message though.

Cheers!

Dang
Yes, I believe you will have the "Check your surroundings" messages on the screen. There was another person, I cannot remember who, on this forum who wired his video to reverse camera. I also do not believe he needed a speed pulse generator.

I am hoping there will be a solution that does not result in that message being on the screen. I was hoping the VAIS solution would do that. But I guess not.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast

Mike,
The software overide does not allow video to play while the car is in motion. It does allow the usually faded out buttons on the screen for the picture to look active (not greyed out) but they do not work even though they look active.

ToutSuite,
You have the right idea. There must be another wire or wires that inactivate video while moving beyond the parking brake wire and speed sensor in the plug described below. If there was a schematic we could find to see for sure what it is, I may or may not be interested in it...but not interested in cutting wires just to explore.

Dang,
I have a backup camera that is active on backup. It may well be that vide via the backup video input + falsely activating the reverse sensor wire will work to play video while in motion. But I find the backup camera so useful, I don't want to give it up. I suppose one can set up a switch to alternate inputs from default (with backup camera and reverse sensor wire) to modified (alternate video wire and falsely activated reverse sensor wire). Sounds like a project for a very long weekend to explore. I'm very happy with the SL2Vi audio and would also have to find a way to make sure that worked with video via the backup camera port (if that works while moving). As Jer points out, not sure what else would be affected - would sure be nice to hear from someone who worked out the bugs before that project starts!

mikieblyblue,
I agree if you try the video to backup camera input (if that works while moving forward and falsely activating the reverse sensor wire without messing anything else up) then the speed pulse generator (SPG) is not needed and the "check your surroundings" message would be on.

But note that the SPG is wonderful - I like it much better than the software override that takes my eyes off the road. For the SPG I just use my hand to flip a switch and the NAV buttons are activated (except for video). Happy I installed it even if not useful for the video issue. Also should allow map upgrades without needing the 5.1 kwi hybrid homemade disk.
Joe

Old 05-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast

http://avelectronic.com/NavigationVid-Switcher.html may be the solution. I am making an inquiry.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Do report back. That unit looks promising. I do bet that the price is going to be a killer! Since they don't even put it on there. It only shows the camry up to 2005. I hope they have updated it for our new ones.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the posts Joe.B ... let us know what you find out about that unit. If video is easy to acquire, I would do it, if not, to me it would end up not being the time.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe.B
http://avelectronic.com/NavigationVid-Switcher.html may be the solution. I am making an inquiry.
I don't see how this device is going to get past the safety features. It looks like just another way of routing video to the nav unit, which then decides whether or not to display it. Am I missing something?

Old 05-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

So it looks like the bottom line is no one has gotten video to work while in motion...

If all goes well, I should be purchasing a new 2008 Camry Hybrid in the next few days with Nav etc....I was watching these posts as I was interested in a video ipod interface so the kids could watch movies while in motion. Or, just adding screen in the back.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2BSI%26otn%3D3

would this do what you need?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...vigation+video

Old 07-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast

Is that for a Camry also?

Old 07-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Enthusiast

bkushner,
It looks like it might work unless there are differences between the lexis and camry nav systems. I emailed the seller and his rely was:
===========
Hello, and thank you for your inquiry.

At the moment, we do not carry the application for your car. However if it becomes available in the future, I will be sure to contact you.

Thanks,

Eric
==========
I'm not sure if he knows it will not work, or is just reading the box of what car it was designed for and has no idea if it will work or not. If anyone has used this on a lexis, please let us know what the wiring diagram is like for it.
Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NAV - Hacks to unlock the blocked features

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands