NAV System, is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NAV System, is this right?

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
The acronym "CAN" means Car Area Network. It is the local area network that the computers in the car use to communicate with each other.
Actually it's "Controller Area Network". While it's used a cars quite a lot, it's not exclusive to them.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controller_Area_Network

Cheers!

Dang

Old 12-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Enthusiast

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/toyolexnavspec sells an OEM navigation unit for the TCH including energy monitor hookup instructions for $1595. The seller has 99.5% positive feedback including several of these units.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

whoever is interested in getting this nav system, PM me...

Old 12-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Pragmatist
Default BTW: CAN means Controller Area Network

Originally Posted by prometheusjp
BTW CAN does not mean Canadian it is some sort of language that the Hybrid system uses to communicate.
CAN means "Controller Area Network". It is a Local Area Network (LAN) technology that various devices in the car use to communicate with each other. All of the devices connect to a common signaling buss. Each device has an address, and devices can send packets to each other through the shared buss. See, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controller_Area_Network

By using a shared buss to communicate messages instead of dedicated wires for each purpose, they were able to reduce the amount of copper wire needed to build the car. The reduction is rather dramatic -- something like a hundred pounds of copper wire and plastic insulation is avoided so far. There are still lots of non-CAN devices in current models, with corresponding dedicated control wires, so further weight reductions are possible in future model years.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Enthusiast

Hi,I would be very grateful to those who helped me install OEM navigation unit for my 2007 TCH. Of course I'll pay for it ,Ilive in Los Angeles area (323). Thanks

Last edited by bokster; 12-10-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by prometheusjp
Sorry for being late to the game but I have purchased a nav system for my hybrid from these guys and was very happy with it. The instructions provided were very accurate and i was able to get the system up and going with energy screens without any issues. BTW CAN does not mean Canadian it is some sort of language that the Hybrid system uses to communicate.
prometheusjp,

It seems I am a bit late to the party. But if you have information (still) regarding getting a NAV unit working with a JBL Camry system, I would love to here about it.

Thanks
Remy

Old 04-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RemyMartin
prometheusjp,

It seems I am a bit late to the party. But if you have information (still) regarding getting a NAV unit working with a JBL Camry system, I would love to here about it.

Thanks
Remy
The last time he was active on this site was almost 5 years ago. I doubt that he will answer.....

Old 04-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RemyMartin
prometheusjp,

Thanks
Remy
Hi Remy....

I'm still around. I will send you a PM.

cheers!

Dan