Navigation, adding it on afterwards

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Navigation, adding it on afterwards

Stan....

Actually it's not that bad. First off, everybody talks about 4 wires, rather than 5, but it's really two wires.

Every wire connection is the same between the hybrid-nav and the non-hybrid-nav except for F12. There are two extra wires are on pins 2 and 3 of F12 on the Nav unit in the hybrid unit, which are the CAN-H and CAN-L connections. The connector itself is identical.

These two wires go to a bridge connector, FE2, then two wires go from this to A40. This is why they say "4 wires", but you can go right from F12 on the Nav to E41, which is the other side of A40, so technically two wires will do, or, you can wire through FE2, whichever you prefer.

A40/E41 is over in the junction assembly in the right side of the car, kinda behind the glove box. You'd have to run a pair of wires from there to the back of the nav, but that's not a big deal to do.

If anyone wants to do this, you will need pins for F12, and make sure you use twisted wires as this is how CAN eliminates electrical interference. Again, connecting the wires without the correct Nav unit isn't going to do anything. I have lot of drawings and things if people are interested. PM me if you like.

Later!

Dan

Old 08-08-2007, 08:40 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Dang — When last I looked at the circuit diagrams some time ago, I found that 5 wires had to be added. Two were the CAN bus, but there was also a speed wire from the dash display unit, an additional "standby" (I think) power wire, and something else that I don't recall offhand. Moreover, comparing the pins on the connectors to which the radio's lines were connected, I concluded that many of them were moved around to different connector locations. Perhaps there wasn't collaboration between Panasonic (the maker of the non-NAV radio) and Denso (the maker of the NAV radio) to harmonize the connector layout. I'll have to look it up again. It didn't seem simple to me! Have you actually done it and have it work properly?

Stan

Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Stan....

Ah, that explains it.
You are correct, there are differences in the wires and connectors between the radio and the Nav units, and there is more work if you are changing from a radio unit to a Nav unit. There is a "kit" in Canada that allows you to install the Nav into a car that currently has the radio. That's what the dealers in Canada are using for dealer installed units. I think I have the instructions somewhere, but just to be clear, that kit does not take into account the CAN wires, and is for the non-hybrid-nav unit, so you would still need to add more wires to get the energy screens if you got the correct nav unit.

Once you have a non-hybrid-nav unit installed, then the only difference between that and the hybrid-nav unit is those CAN wires.

I have installed the wires, but to no avail as I have a non-hybrid-nav unit. In fact, for those that have the non-hybrid-nav unit, if you go to try to do a CAN buss check in the diagnostic menus, you will find that menu does not even exist.

Later!

Dan

Old 08-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast

So am I missing something here or can I just order a Hybrid Nav unit from local Toyota dealer as a separate purchase and wire it into my non-nav TCH?

Sounds like it would fully work including energy screens.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Deegee
So am I missing something here or can I just order a Hybrid Nav unit from local Toyota dealer as a separate purchase and wire it into my non-nav TCH?

Sounds like it would fully work including energy screens.
The problem seems to be the dealer installed NAV for the TCH and Conventional Camry have the same part number and they are the Non-NAV variety and sans the Energy Screens.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Right you are Deegee and schmidtj...

It's even harder for us Canadians. For sure we can't get it through our dealers, since it's not an option. So, we'd have to order it through a U.S. dealer, and pray that dealer (and who they order from) understand even though it's the same part number, to order the hybrid version. Even then, it wouldn't be until it was shipped across the border and you connected it up you would find out if they got the right one or not. And of course it's probably too late to ship it back at that point.

I may do that, and that's why I was asking someone who went through this with a dealer, so I could at least talk to a dealer that knew the difference.

Later!

Dang

Old 08-16-2007, 07:00 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dang

It's even harder for us Canadians. For sure we can't get it through our dealers, since it's not an option. So, we'd have to order it through a U.S. dealer, and pray that dealer (and who they order from) understand even though it's the same part number, to order the hybrid version. Even then, it wouldn't be until it was shipped across the border and you connected it up you would find out if they got the right one or not. And of course it's probably too late to ship it back at that point.

I may do that, and that's why I was asking someone who went through this with a dealer, so I could at least talk to a dealer that knew the difference.

Later!

Dang
Gotcha...I would build in a contingency upfront and in writing with the US dealer that they would need to specify the HYBRID version when they order...and I would have it in writing that if the unit comes in and does not have the hybrid features (after install) that the dealer would accept the unit back and would have to reorder the correct one at their expense. Seems like a bit of a hassle but it would alert the dealer that it's more than ordering a part.

good luck with it & if you order, let us know how it goes (cause I might order one as well).

Old 08-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Tideland...

. . .

In fact, JHSmith...
What dealer did you get your unit from? Since they already know about the two different units with the same part number, it might be good to order through them. (if they will do it!)

. . .

Later!

Dang

Later!

Dang
I'm one of those who found-out the hard way about the two different units with same part number.

It took me a few days before I had time to get back with my dealer.

Here's the story:

On the Non-Hybrid faceplate, lower left corner, the part number is E7012 (Real small legend). Toyota Part number: 86120-06390

Hybrid: Face plate: E7011, Toyota Part number: 86120-33A30.

This information was given to me by my Parts Department (Warranty Repair Ordering group). They looked at their records for my car and then even called Denso (sp?) to verify our understanding.

If you need dealership, names, numbers, etc. I can supply them.

Also, like degee said, I would specify up front that you MUST get the hybrid version of the unit.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JHSmith
On the Non-Hybrid faceplate, lower left corner, the part number is E7012 (Real small legend). Toyota Part number: 86120-06390

Hybrid: Face plate: E7011, Toyota Part number: 86120-33A30.

John....

This is fantastic information! Thanks very much for providing it. Finally there is a way to tell them apart without installing it and finding out it's the wrong one.

Thanks!

Dang

Old 09-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Progress!

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...55/#post141555

Thank you JHSmith!

Dang

Quick Reply: Navigation, adding it on afterwards

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands