Navigation System Display dots

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Navigation System Display dots

Please excuse what could be a stupid question however could anyone please explain what the small red dots with white rings around the edges are all over the navigation display? None of the pictures in the navigation manual show them. They don't appear to be points of interest as they still show even when POI are turned off. It looks as though it has a bad case of the measles! Is it possible to get rid of them, they don't seem to serve any useful purpose ?

Old 11-23-2006, 06:09 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: Navigation System Display dots

Target Stores?

Sorry - I don't have a good answer but couldn't resist..

I noticed my Nav system knows where golf courses are as they are noted with a small green mound with a flag stuck in a hole..

Old 11-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Those are sometimes called " bread crumbs". There has to be mention of this inside the manual. There is an option in menu to turn trip recording on or off. You can record up to 150 miles of track you covered, the red spots are points showing you that recorded track you previously drove. This could be helpful to back track your way in some unfamiliar area, or see where you or somebody else drove. It could be very useful at times and if you only drive locally will multiple tracks driving you crazy, turn it off.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:19 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by Paulgw
Please excuse what could be a stupid question however could anyone please explain what the small red dots with white rings around the edges are all over the navigation display? None of the pictures in the navigation manual show them. They don't appear to be points of interest as they still show even when POI are turned off. It looks as though it has a bad case of the measles! Is it possible to get rid of them, they don't seem to serve any useful purpose ?
It is a feature of the NAV system where you can turn on a TRACE your route feature so you can backtrack over the same route. While in the map, hit the menu key and look for the option about TRACE or TRACK and then turn it off.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete4
Those are sometimes called " bread crumbs". There has to be mention of this inside the manual. There is an option in menu to turn trip recording on or off. You can record up to 150 miles of track you covered, the red spots are points showing you that recorded track you previously drove. This could be helpful to back track your way in some unfamiliar area, or see where you or somebody else drove. It could be very useful at times and if you only drive locally will multiple tracks driving you crazy, turn it off.

Thanks very much with the explanation! There is the briefest description on page 61 of the navigation manual with no indication that it shows up as "bread crumbs" on the map. As I had no intention of recording my routes I had ignored this feature so it is either on by default or the salesman turned it on when he played with the navigation system before I got the car with 60 km on it! It was the first navigation system he had sold! I'll sleep a whole lot better tonight!

Old 11-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Dazed and Confused

My question is, how do you turn off the darn post offices? Even if I have no POI on, it still shows all the post offices, pack and snails, UPS etc.. offices.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paulgw

Thanks very much with the explanation! There is the briefest description on page 61 of the navigation manual with no indication that it shows up as "bread crumbs" on the map. As I had no intention of recording my routes I had ignored this feature so it is either on by default or the salesman turned it on when he played with the navigation system before I got the car with 60 km on it! It was the first navigation system he had sold! I'll sleep a whole lot better tonight!
The salesman put 60KM (37miles) on ur car before you bought it? I hope you looked at the breadcrumbs to see where he drove the car to before you turned off the trace.