which NAVIGATION YOU SUGGEST FOR CAMRY HYBRID?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 03:21 AM
Active Enthusiast
Question which NAVIGATION YOU SUGGEST FOR CAMRY HYBRID?

Hi freinds,

I have 07camry hybrid without the navigation and heated leather seats.

I like to have both but fear those non factory leather seats will not look good like the factory installed heated leather seats.

Do you have any suggestion about what I should do?

Aany websites you can giveme to go look?

I also like to have a navigation .

Which one you suggest?
I heared GARMIN is nice but which one cos there are so many of them.
I can't afford a navigation that costs over $ 1000.
I like one that has not just maps but voice direction.s and something that will look good on my new camhy hybrid.

Where will this voice sound come from after it's installed? from the speakers?

Installation is hard and needs lota of wirings?

Which one you have in ur car thats not factory installed?

websites and pictures ?

Thank you

Old 11-08-2006, 03:56 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: which NAVIGATION YOU SUGGEST FOR CAMRY HYBRID?

My sister has a NavMan and likes it alot. It is just strictly a GPS Navigation computer but you can buy it for under $300 try http://www.buy.com .. It can also be used out of the vehicle etc..

I'm glad that I held out for the factory installed package as I've not seen anything that integrates so many functions before.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:46 AM
My Wife's car but my toy!

I've always had stand-alone GPS systems. I thought about the built in unit from Toyota, but you just can't justify the cost. Recently I saw a cell phone based system called Telenav. I thought I would check it out on my wife's phone we have through Sprint. For the cost of $9.99 each month that you use it I was sold. It never needs a map update, which cost over $200 for the Toyota system, becuase they are not built in. I was using it on the slower data network on Sprint and it kept up with turn by turn directions with no problem. It re-routes automatically. Has a business finder. But the biggest benefit is it is always with you. My wife can use it in any car she is riding in , hers, mine, or a friends. It does not have the bling factor of the nice big color map in your car, but when you can use it in a friends car when your trying to find someplace it's a God send.

I have TomTom on my Treo, but there again I have to have the bluetooth GPS with my in order to use it. I also have a Megellan Meridian stand alone unit.

Built in system = expensive to purchase and maintain.
Stand-alone unit = moderate price, where to mount, hard to take with you.
Phone based = pay as you go, mobile, small screen.

Last edited by mg48; 11-08-2006 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The advantage of the factory system is that it's not only a GPS, but also has the fuel consumption, recharge, energy flow displays. If I were looking at purchasing brand new and had to have the NAV that would push me towards the factory system. But I would not pay $1800 + installation off ebay for a factory unit.

Actually my wife asked me what I want for ChristmaKwanzaNukah. I told her a portable GPS. She asked me why I needed it as I never get lost. Even when we're on long trips and there's a traffic jam on the interstate I seem to be able to get off, take local roads for an exit or two and get back on after the traffic jam. I eventually had to admit I like having toys.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Dazed and Confused

DaveDave, almost as good as a TomTom, but you can have a meaningful conversation which TomTom does not like to do.

Or as my wife puts it, I don't need a nav system, I have RobRob. She is known for getting lost going from the office to the house, well not that bad, but close. We got the Verizon phones that have the capabilities of navigation, but I am not really that impressed. Most of the time the routes it picks are much longer than some of the optimal direct line routes. I have also seen the same thing with the TCH Nav. The other day, I entered an address of some property we are considering buying, and the Toyota Nav had me exit the highway and drive thru a small city, then go under the freway I had just exited and go past an exit I could have taken to turn a quarter of a mile past it. In short the nav added 20 minutes to my drive. Sure they will typically get you there, but they should not be relied upon as the best route.

The phone ones are just fine, but not worth getting a new phone just for it.

The car ones are nice, but only if you want the added features of the integration such as hybrid info. Also they are always in the car with you. No need to woory about leaving the nav at the house or encouraging a thief to break in to steal it.

The portable ones are great for a multiple car user and if you want it for camping, boating off roading etc. Some of the portable ones will even allow you to add your own roads, and do bread crumbing so you know how to back-track your steps. Also some of the portable ones can be integrated into a laptop for more functionability.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I use the Garmin C530. It is great and I can move it from car to car.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

TomTom. Works great. A lot cheaper than comparable models. Transportable to *any* vehicle you drive.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast

I have the Tom Tom for my wife's car and when I travel. It puts the Built in Nav to shame.