Necessary Maintenance on the TCH

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Necessary Maintenance on the TCH

My 2008 TCH is now nagging me for its 10,000 maintenance. At 5,000 I had free oil change but paid for rotation and various bs inspections..Now according to dealer schedule at 10,000 I need this inspection stuff again, rotation again, replacing wiper inserts and adjusting brakes...all for a whooping $168.96!!!
Can I get by with just an oil change? Should I rotate again?
Also my DH noticed, when I let him drive my TCH, that it pulls to the right. So could I need an allignment so soon???
Is there a required maitenance to stay in warranty??
thanks for your all your help guys... My appt is Tuesday..

Old 10-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Necessary Maintenance on the TCH

Originally Posted by seaford
My 2008 TCH is now nagging me for its 10,000 maintenance. At 5,000 I had free oil change but paid for rotation and various bs inspections..Now according to dealer schedule at 10,000 I need this inspection stuff again, rotation again, replacing wiper inserts and adjusting brakes...all for a whooping $168.96!!!
Can I get by with just an oil change? Should I rotate again?
Also my DH noticed, when I let him drive my TCH, that it pulls to the right. So could I need an allignment so soon???
Is there a required maitenance to stay in warranty??
thanks for your all your help guys... My appt is Tuesday..
Adjusting BRAKES? Are they talking about parking brake? 'Cause the rest of the braking system is self-adjusting. I smell some bovine by-product being shoveled your way.

As to tire rotation - yes, to even out the wear, rotation is in order. The alignment should be included in the first year/12K mile warranty stuff.

As to wiper blades - if you have streaking or significant deterioration in the wipe quality, then do replace them. 10K miles is WAY too soon for any 'normal' use.

Overall, sounds like they're trying to improve the mileage by emptying your wallet.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

You are getting hosed. If the wipers are doing their job (no streaks or noises in the rain) they should be OK. Even then, it takes 5 minutes to replace yourself and can be bought anywhere (I have a set of ICONS in the garage when mine need to be done).

Adjusting brakes!!!??? Ask him how they "adjust" disk brakes.... I would LOVE to hear the answer to that one. Tire rotation is normal and when they have the tires off, they can glance at the brake pads to see if they are worn. With the TCH doing 90% of the braking with the regen system, I doubt we will need brakes until the 60k to 70k mark (or more).

An oil change, tire rotation and a quick look see are all that you need. This can be done anywhere and should not cost that much. Including the oil change with dino oil, around $40 to 50 maximum in this area. For synthetic oil, add another $20 or so.

If you have not noticed the car "pulling", I would not worry about it. Make sure that you test on a flat, smooth road without a "crown" that will push the car to the right. If the car does not "pull" to one side or the other I doubt that you have a problem. Watch your tire wear when checking the tire pressure monthly (you do check it at least that often don't you?). More than likely, they are trying to get some more cash from you. If the car does have an "alignment" problem, it came that way and should be fixed at Toyota's cost.

This is assuming you don't don't jump curbs, go offroading with your TCH, try to hit big potholes and have the habit of hitting trees that get in your way.

Look at your manual for help with the maintenance issues on the car. I usually change my filters more often than required (20,000 miles for air and cabin filters) and do my oil change on time (5,000 miles) and plan on changing the "transmission fluid" (What do we call this? Power split device? Planetary gear system? Transaxle system?) at the 30,000 mile mark as this is not listed in the manual but seems to be a prudent course after seeing some of the the posts on the Prius boards.

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 10-04-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Frodo,

Looks like you beat me to it. I type sloooow.....

I love it when a dealer tries to rip off a customer in the name of "maintenance" to help their bottom line. Of course with the way car sales are going, I can't blame them for trying....

Old 10-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Frodo,
Of course with the way car sales are going, I can't blame them for trying....
If you want my business for a new sale in the future, don't try to scam me on maintenance now. That & the salesman's attitude when I was shopping around for prices cost a local dealer a sale on the truck I had last.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Frodo,

Looks like you beat me to it. I type sloooow.....

I love it when a dealer tries to rip off a customer in the name of "maintenance" to help their bottom line. Of course with the way car sales are going, I can't blame them for trying....
There's a local Toyota dealer that advertises a 'lifetime warranty' for "all new vehicles purchased".

The only catch: You have to grab your ankles and open wallet wide for their 'recommended maintenance' items. Which are about double or more than what Toyota recommends, even on the severe service schedule. You know the drill, the 3K oil changes, the 15 k air filters, the 30 k trans flushes, the 2 year coolant changes. None of which is needed on any vehicle manufactured in the last 20 years and driven in any use but urban delivery.

So, over a 10 year ownership period, your 'free' lifetime warranty is likely to cost you > $15K.

What a racket.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:59 AM
0__o
Smile Re: Necessary Maintenance on the TCH

The dealer makes his profit from selling overpriced parts and services. They depend on customers that don't do their own basic maintenance. If your check book is big enough, go to the dealer. If you think that only the dealer can perform maintenance to keep you in warranty, you're wrong.

If you're not inclined to do your own work, go to a NAPA Autocare center. They are qualified to do your basic maintenance. They will do what you ask them to and recommend any additional work that might need to be done. They warranty their work.

In checking there are about 20 of them in your area. Remember you can have them just check your alignment to see if it's within specs.

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frodo
Adjusting BRAKES? Are they talking about parking brake? 'Cause the rest of the braking system is self-adjusting. I smell some bovine by-product being shoveled your way.

As to tire rotation - yes, to even out the wear, rotation is in order. The alignment should be included in the first year/12K mile warranty stuff.

As to wiper blades - if you have streaking or significant deterioration in the wipe quality, then do replace them. 10K miles is WAY too soon for any 'normal' use.

Overall, sounds like they're trying to improve the mileage by emptying your wallet.
Umm seems these recommendations are for all Toyotas. Definitly can change my own blades!!!
"For brakes it does say "Adjust Brakes and hand Brake, Check Linings Disc/Drum...$26.99
Rotate and Computer Balance 4 Tires Check Tire Pressure $74.99..
Inspect Hoses, Belts, Steering Linkage, ***** joints, tops of blah blah blah....$39.99"

No wonder the oil change is FREE!!!!
OH WELL...I'll just have them do the oil change and check the allignment.Maybe the rotation. .It is pulling slightly to the right.. I feel it too.
1) Alignment is under warranty??? Car has about 9,400 miles
2)I think my concern is if I take it to just anyone, they will be not qualified to handle a hybrid. Am I incorrect in that assumption??? If so, at 15,000 I'll go elsewhere?
3)At 15,000 Toyota says I need EFI Service-Power Flush Fuel Injectors for $109.99....DO I??????????????? These are dealer recommendations I guess..

THANKS AGAIN

Old 10-04-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by seaford
Umm seems these recommendations are for all Toyotas. Definitly can change my own blades!!!
"For brakes it does say "Adjust Brakes and hand Brake, Check Linings Disc/Drum...$26.99
Rotate and Computer Balance 4 Tires Check Tire Pressure $74.99..
Inspect Hoses, Belts, Steering Linkage, ***** joints, tops of blah blah blah....$39.99"

OH WELL...I'll just have them do the oil change and check the allignment.Maybe the rotation. .It is pulling slightly to the right.. I feel it too.
2)I think my concern is if I take it to just anyone, they will be not qualified to handle a hybrid. Am I incorrect in that assumption??? If so, at 15,000 I'll go elsewhere?
3)At 15,000 Toyota says I need EFI Service-Power Flush Fuel Injectors for $109.99....DO I??????????????? These are dealer recommendations I guess..

THANKS AGAIN
First year the normal adjustments should be 'on the house'.

The 15K EFI power flush is a "service" that will only serve to move cash from your account to theirs. Unless the fuel in your area has never seen a refinery, it's total BS. Back 30 years ago, fuel didn't have enough detergent additives, and some EFI systems would clog under certain conditions; this hasn't been an issue for at least 20 years if you buy fuel from anyplace even remotely reputable.

And the DEFINITIVE source for all maintenance items needed to maintain warranty is your owners' manual, also available here as a PDF (do a search). Most dealers will try to do LOTS more than is required or appropriate for a long service life to pad their bottom line.

As to 'take it to anyone' - for most 'routine' stuff, I wouldn't worry about it - the gas engine is pretty much the same as the 'regular' Camry 4, as is the suspension and the 'wear' parts of the brake system. Any ASE-certified shop will be able to take care of the routine maintenance. Warranty service is another thing altogether, but for maintenance, just make sure you keep the receipts to prove the needed services were performed.

Now, if they're diddling with the tranny or trying to sell you on some BS 'alternator test' or 'replace alternator or A/C belt', then yes, they don't know what they're doing (car doesn't have either one - the MG1/MG2 charge the traction battery, which in turn charges the 12V auxillary battery via the inverter circuit).

Also, if you look close, the "techs" doing routine oil changes at most dealerships don't have any ASE patches - they're typically barely-above-minimum-wage newbies, in some cases not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed. Some of then are OK and do their tasks with dilligence, but any who are at all sharp don't do that task for very long. They get the certification and improve their skills to where they have a chance of making a half-decent living.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:09 AM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

THANKS AGAIN[/quote]
There is nothing in the list that is hybrid specific. Any decent auto place should be able to do them. Heck, at 5000 miles, I took my hybrid in for the free oil change and that is all they did - a free oil change. But then that is the difference between a small town honest dealer and a big city "see the suckers coming" dealer.

Even with the honesty of the dealer, I'd still prefer to deal with a mechanic I have been taking my vehicles to for a while. He will tell me if he doesn't feel qualified to do it or if it is under warranty as he knows he wants my long term business and my recommending him to others.

Quick Reply: Necessary Maintenance on the TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands