Need A Blank Mechanical Key.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Need A Blank Mechanical Key.......

I have the smart key system, and I like to lock my trunk and glove box when I leave the car for service or for valet parking. When I remove the mechanical key to take with me, I also remove the plastic cap with the hole in it. This makes it impossible to attach any ID string tag, or even hang up the fob. If I had a blank mechanical key, I could put that in on these occasions and all will be "good to go". Yes, Toyota offers them for over $100.00. really. Anyone have any idea how I can get one reasonably priced? I am sure others would be interested.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need A Blank Mechanical Key.......

Thanks for the thought, I will try to make it myself.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

As far as locking the trunk. Won't the SKS simply unlock it? And there is no keyhole on the manual release for locking it.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

No, acco's doing exactly what you should be doing. Physical key will lock them so the fob won't unlock them.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Haha, this is my complaint that I voiced in another thread. We need something that will just latch in there and 100 bucks is outrage for a useless piece of metal.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

It will be my project for this weekend, to make a blank key. I will use aluminium.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crasher
It will be my project for this weekend, to make a blank key. I will use aluminium.
Cool, let us know how it goes.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crasher
Hope it works out....remember how you did it, keep notes.LOL. Don't forget the end piece with the hole in it. Maybe you can post a picture when you are done?

Old 09-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Enthusiast

$100 does seem expensive, so I searched eBay for the key Check out the link at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...spagenameZWDVW, and you can see the part number is KEY PART#69515-AC020. I checked a couple of online dealers and found the part you are looking for for $20.87 at Hollywood Toyota in Florida (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214351). Curious, I called my local dealer who charges $34.07.

You may want to call around. Good luck!

Robin

Old 09-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rfranzel
$100 does seem expensive, so I searched eBay for the key Check out the link at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...spagenameZWDVW, and you can see the part number is KEY PART#69515-AC020. I checked a couple of online dealers and found the part you are looking for for $20.87 at Hollywood Toyota in Florida (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214351). Curious, I called my local dealer who charges $34.07.

You may want to call around. Good luck!

Robin
Thank you very much. I will start to check around here and see if I can get one for around $20. I think it would be well worth it.

Quick Reply: Need A Blank Mechanical Key.......

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands