Need to Replace Original Tires - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:32 AM
Enthusiast
Default Need to Replace Original Tires - Suggestions?

Need to replace my factory Michelin Energy MXV tires.
I have 70,000 miles, stock rims, no snow/ice to drive in.

I was thinking of Michelin Hydroedge tires or replacing
with the same.

Anyone have any experience with the Hydroedge?

I am looking for low noise, all-weather tire.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 07-16-2011, 02:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need to Replace Original Tires - Suggestions?

I looked at a rather recent rating on all season tires. My pick would be the Hankook Optimo H727 tire. It's got a 100K tread warranty. What impressed me on this tire is it's not that expensive and shows very good on snow traction. This tire competes with the michelin hydro-edge which shows fair on show traction. It also competes with the goodyear assurance triple tread tire. The Hankook Optimo H727 shows about $90 per tire. You may find a good deal on the Hankooks, because they don't spend for TV ads like Michelin and Goodyear.

Now the question is, if Hankook makes the correct tire size that will fit for the TCH. I did a quick look at tirerack site and they do list this tire in the P215/60R16 size if that's the same size of your oem tires.

Good Luck with you search for new tires..

Last edited by rburt07; 07-16-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A few years ago I bought a set of michelin energy saver a/s tires. Some say this particular tire don't exactly match the recommended tire speed rating for the TCH. I don't know what that's for, but I don't drive fast at all, more like 60 mph and that's rare for me. I picked up 8% better gas mileage once I had about 200 miles on these new tires. They were a little expensive as most michelin tires are. These ride smooth and are a quiet tire. I'm a gas mileage nut, so I put 40 psi (when cool) in them. They rode so good at 40 I went to 44 psi when I decided to put nitrogen in them, and they still ride smooth.

I read that nitrogen can help the tires last longer, run a cooler and don't leak out like air does. It's been over a year when I had nitrogen put in them. Their still reading 44 psi at night, using the same digital air gauge. I have my tires rotated and balanced (lifetime) at our local walmart every 5000 miles, every time I do my own oil changes.

Many tire shops and chain discount stores now using nitrogen when you buy a new set of tires. I heard Sam's Club puts nitrogen in new tires just for buying a set.

I should mention I found these energy saver a/s tires are 4 pounds lighter for each tire. That's 12 pounds lighter then many of the same size other brands. I figure less rotating weight when taking off from a stop should take less energy. Michelin says these tires use a newly designed radial pattern. Whatever, these are a well built tire and seem to wear very slowly.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-16-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Enthusiast

When I replaced mine last year, I was going to go with Michelin again, but the
tire store I went to recommended General Altimax HP. They were $50 a tire less than the Michelin's I wanted, and so far I've been very happy with them. I think their traction is actually a little better than the OEM Michelins.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

I first replaced my tires with a set of Bridgestone Turanzas. They were awful. Despite faithfully maintaining air pressure and proper rotation, they got very noisy at around 20k miles.

I just replaced them with the OEM tire that came with my vehicle. -- the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 -- P215/60R16 94V.

What a great tire. Rides so smooth it is like having a new car. And my mileage is up by around 2 mpg.

Got them from Tire Barn for less than the tirerack.com price plus got a $70 rebate and a book of carwash coupons worth $50.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback. After talking to a local Michelin dealer,
I may go with the Primacy H rated tire. Same 60,000 mi. warranty
as V rated. A little savings for 1 level drop in speed rating.

He said the Primacy replaced the Energy, and this tire is factory installed
for a lot of European cars.

The OEM tires were the Energy V rated.
Kinda surprised Toyota put on good tires on a Hybrid!

Ride was good! Got 40MPG, got 70,000 miles!

I'll do more research before I buy.

Steve

Old 07-17-2011, 02:39 AM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07

I am having the Yokohama dB Super E-Spec ordered and installed by a large local tire outfit. The OEM Michelins gave good service, but the handling is wishy washy. Hoping these are better in that dept.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

I replaced my originals about 10K ago with Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max. I like 'em so far. Very reasonably priced as Sams Club.

Do I understand you got 70K on the original Michelins? Good golly, that's about twice what most people get!

Old 07-18-2011, 06:32 AM
Camry Freak

I put the Michelin Primacy MXV4's on my Hybrid when the OEM Bridgestones wore out at 28K miles. I now have just over 60K miles on the car, and I have been completely satisfied with the Primacy tires. They get 2-3 more mpg than the Bridgestones did, ride much better, are much better in the rain and snow, and still have more than half their life left.

I do keep them at 38psi for better mileage and a slightly firmer ride. I found that keeping them at the recommended 32psi left the ride to sloppy.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Technologist

Ditto on the Michelin Primacy MXV4. Quiet, smooth as silk. Best tires I ever owned on a passenger car.