New 2007 TCH Owner - some questions

Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default New 2007 TCH Owner - some questions

Hi,

I just purchased a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid and am really enjoying it! I checked the FAQ and discovered a lot of great stuff, but I still have a few questions.

1) I was told that if I bought a "blank" smart key off ebay for about $100 I could have it programmed cheaply by my Toyota dealer. Anyone ever tried this - will it work? What does a dealer charge to reprogram a smart key?

2) On occasion, when I back my Camry up, I will hear what sounds like an odd grinding noise from what seems to me to be the passenger rear side of the car. What could that be?

I have driven about 1000 miles on this car so far (total mileage is now about 91700) and have averaged about 40 MPG. I like it!

Scott

Old 07-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New 2007 TCH Owner - some questions

same here, same year

1. dealer charges $250; some say, any good locksmith has blanks and can flash new key for you - for much less. Hear me out - BUY EBAY KEY AT YOUR OWN RISK. I spoke.
2. It's either brake pads scratching rotors, or you have busted hub bearing. Inspect pads and replace as needed. Mine had to be done both ends at around 50 000 miles.
Averaged 40mpg? How do you know? If you have nav unit, press "reset all" in consumption screen once, and NEVER TOUCH IT again. Only then you will have true average mpg.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:09 PM

Oh, and just to make sure - mine averages 40.5 tank average daily commute, 38.2 1 year 8 mths on nav unit and going up due to summer time, and fuelly is lagging behind as I signed up with it winter time, when mpg goes low.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:03 AM

The 2007 Camry hybrid had a tech bulletin on the rear brake rather loud noise when you backed up.

You might check with your toyota service and ask about the bulletin vs the miles you have on your car. That grinding or rubbing sound would happen on my hybrid in the early mornings when I would first start the car and slowly back up. The tech bulletin fix cured the problem. If you bought your car used, they can check the VIN number and see if that particular tech bulletin was ever done on your car.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Enthusiast

Wow, that's great to know that there was a tech bulletin issued for something like this. Will the dealer know immediately what I am talking about, or is there a particular name or number associated with this tech bulletin?

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
same here, same year

1. dealer charges $250; some say, any good locksmith has blanks and can flash new key for you - for much less. Hear me out - BUY EBAY KEY AT YOUR OWN RISK. I spoke.
2. It's either brake pads scratching rotors, or you have busted hub bearing. Inspect pads and replace as needed. Mine had to be done both ends at around 50 000 miles.
Averaged 40mpg? How do you know? If you have nav unit, press "reset all" in consumption screen once, and NEVER TOUCH IT again. Only then you will have true average mpg.
A locksmith will have the electronic key as well as the mechanical key available? If so, I'll have to check and see. What does a dealer charge for a brand new copy of the mechanical key and electronic key?

Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

It is worth getting your brakes checked for minimum pad thickness, if it has not been done for some time. It is somewhat normal for disks to rust if they were wet when you stopped. You will hear some grinding as the rust wears off when you first back up after being parked. It is not loud and will go away after you use the brakes a couple of times.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by AmigaOneFan
A locksmith will have the electronic key as well as the mechanical key available? If so, I'll have to check and see. What does a dealer charge for a brand new copy of the mechanical key and electronic key?
My son bought 2008 Mazdaspeed. We brought her to a Mazdasonly, Kent, WA shop for some engine work. Guy told me exactly that - take her to a good locksmith to have spare keys made, as they have key chip flashing device. LIke your cell store has SIM card copiers. Also, apparently, family owned McLendon's here does same. Has as much chipped key as as any newer car around.
Then again, come to think about it - there's really not a key in TCHs, but fob plus mechanical key.. I know locksmiths do make Lexus keys with same inner channel configuration on pantographs..

Old 07-22-2012, 07:13 AM

OK, talked to neighbor who flips cars and has 11 Prius for his wife.
Prius fob, mated with car, is $600 dealership. They took one off auction car and had it reprogrammed for less.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Enthusiast

$600 for the key fob! That's insane!

I'll try calling some locksmiths and see what I can find.

Also, today I got new tires - General Altimax RT tires - full set of four. When I bought the car the dealer had 3 different types of tires on it (only two tires were the same brand) AND had these green pressure sensor things on each tire.
The tire place that put my new tires on told me the green pressure plugs defeated the on board computer sensors - that is, the tires would always show appropriate pressure no matter what pressure they had in them! I never heard of such a thing. He recommended I have new stem plugs put on ($12 each I think) so the on board computer would actually give me proper information about the tire pressures.
Was he scamming me do you think?
Now, the tires I got on the car were BALD and SMOOTH - like a baby's bottom. And I suspect had a few extra PSI in them. I was getting about 40.5 to 41 mpg or so. With the new tires I am getting about 39.5 MPG.
Should I put an extra couple of PSI in them?
Anyone else have the General Altimax RT tires? They are rated for 70,000 miles. Wondering how far they will really go.....

Scott

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 2007 TCH Owner - some questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands