Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   New 2019 Camry Hybrid XLE Feedback (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/new-2019-camry-hybrid-xle-feedback-31940/)

Milehghcty 05-17-2019 09:55 AM

New 2019 Camry Hybrid XLE Feedback

Haven't been active on this forum since I bought my 2009 Camry Hybrid 10 years ago. Finally traded it for a new 2019 Camry Hybrid XLE about a month ago. Only had 95k miles on the 2009 and had been mostly trouble free except for changing out the water pump and the 12v battery about 2 years ago. Really liked the car and my spreadsheet overall average MPG (mostly highway driving) was a little over 38.5. City driving was normally higher at around 40 to 42. I've got about 750 miles on the new Hybrid and really satisfied. The car is quiet and the cabin comfort is outstanding. Mileage is up as well … on a 360 highway miles drive home from where I purchased the car I got 49.9 MPG (has a slight tail wind that day). First quarter tank in the city was 46mpg. The heads up display and birds eye view are awesome. The only thing I'm not real comfortable with yet is the Entune 3.0 Premium Audio Dynamic Navigation System. Hopefully I'll be more comfortable after I use it more. Need to download a couple of apps, then a lot of registering and a lot of emails (also called customer service once for assistance). Finally got the remote connect to work and the Verizon WiFi. After the free trial, probably won't continue either one but just wanted to try them to see how they work. I can report more as I use the car more … should note that I only use the car 6 months a year, the other 6 months it sleeps in the garage as we travel in a MH the warmer southern US during the winter months. Storing for long periods never seemed to negatively affect my 2009, so hopefully it won't on this new 2019.

saneesh8 05-17-2019 12:58 PM

Re: New 2019 Camry Hybrid XLE Feedback

Seems the mpg has been improved.. Thanks for the update.

BTW, how does the seat and riding comfort?

I have a 2014 Avalon Hybrid and its seat is horrible. Really bad design. Hope they redesigned it in the new model.

Milehghcty 05-17-2019 04:33 PM

Compared to my 2009, the seat in the 2019 is as comfortable and perhaps a little more. But my 2009 didn't have leather seats and this car does so that might make a little difference. The car is quiet and easy to listen to the radio while driving. Drives extremely well and love all the safety stuff (radar speed control, lane departure, rear cross traffic, birds eye view, front/back clearance sonic sensors). The hybrid system sure has matured in the last 10 years as it works much better in this 2019. Seems the car does take more advantage of the battery, accelerates better just on battery from a stop, and the gas engine does not just always automatically start at 42 mph. Haven't quite figured it out yet, but when driving/coasting at higher speeds, the gas engine does shut off and runs on battery. I've at least noticed this at 55mph and not sure what the magic cut off number is. All this combined contributes to the higher MPGs as the car is rated at 44 city and 47 highway.

Prior to buying this car, I was in the market for a 2019 Avalon Hybrid Limited … but unfortunately Toyota lowered the Avalon and made the door opening smaller (at least smaller than the Camry). So at 6' 2" I struggled to get into the car. I was disappointed as the Avalon has the active noise cancelation system which (I've heard) is suppose to make the car extremely quiet. I also liked the cognac leather trim that you can't get in the Camry but can in the Avalon. I'm not disappointed with the Camry Hybrid though, it is quiet and I was able to get most all the bells and whistles I could have got on the Avalon

I'm not real hip on the grill on either the Camry or the Avalon … think it's overkill … too big. But it's growing on me and I purchased the Celestial Silver Metallic as I think the color more closely blends with the huge black grill! Not quite as stark...

saneesh8 05-20-2019 08:00 AM

I think in future, they will put the same engine / hybrid in Avalon also to get the same mpg as Camry.

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?...40720&id=41161

It seems LE model gets slightly better mpg. Close to prius

Milehghcty 05-24-2019 08:16 PM

I believe (read somewhere but can't find now) the LE (51/53mpg) model has the lithium batteries which makes it lighter. Also, with less bells/whistles/options, smaller/narrower tires means less weight. Specs show the car as 100lbs lighter which equates to better MPG. Not sure why 100lbs equate to 8mpgs better than the XLE (44/47mpg) for both city and highway?

The Avalon XLE also has the same drivetrain as the Camry XLE but weights a little more by approx 70lbs so gets a few mpg less. Still good at 43/44mpgs.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...1_13791-398288