New Camry 2009 Hybrid Road Trip Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default New Camry 2009 Hybrid Road Trip Question

I bought a 2009 Camry Hybrid earlier this month and was wondering if I could take a road trip during its break in period? I know new cars need some time to break in and how well you break it in can affect how the car runs over its lifespan.

So I'm at 1200 miles already (Drive 60 or so everyday) and will be going from Denver to Las Vegas (724 miles) and back. Wondering if it's a good idea to take the Camry or should I take our other car since the Camry is still new?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited by abor33; 06-29-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Veracitorian Muser
Default Re: New Camry 2009 Hybrid Road Trip Question

Take it! No need to break it in by not using it! Highway miles are fine. There will be plenty of hills on your trip so the engine won't stay at one speed for long periods regardless of your vehicle speed, so don't worry (long term constant engine speed, and heavy acceleration are the only break-in concerns). Take it easy on the long climbs, but keeping up with most of the traffic is taking it easy enough.

Use the B tranny setting on the steep downhills, and you can engage/disengage it at any speed (it's electronically controlled at all speeds). Make sure no one is on your tail when you engage it as it does slow you down, but without turning on your brake lights.

-- Alan