New Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default New Owner Questions

I just bought my 09 Camary Hybrid a few days ago and was lucky enough to score a loaded one for a few hundred over invoice. Over the last two days I have noticed two things that are concerning to me...

1) Factory XM radio has begun to drop out with 35% Huper Optik ceramic tint (done immediately after purchase). I was under the impression that ceramic should be okay for satelite radio. Could it be that the normal "milkiness" that comes with these tints for the first few weeks after installation is the problem and that once the tint fully sets in that there will be no problem with reception? I have read that some people move the antenna outside but I would clearly prefer to avoid that. If that is necessary, is that are part that is needed?

2) It is relatively hard to accelerate from a standstill with this car in pure battery mode. I also have an 06 Highlander Hybrid that is much easier to accelerate from a stop in EV mode AND easier to stay in battery at lower speeds (25mph) such as in the neighborhood. In that car I average 29mpg while early on with the Camry I'm getting about 35mpg. Any thoughts if this would be a normal issue? I would have thought with a lighter car the Camry would be better able to stay in battery mode.

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Owner Questions

Originally Posted by brentunc
2) It is relatively hard to accelerate from a standstill with this car in pure battery mode. I also have an 06 Highlander Hybrid that is much easier to accelerate from a stop in EV mode AND easier to stay in battery at lower speeds (25mph) such as in the neighborhood. In that car I average 29mpg while early on with the Camry I'm getting about 35mpg. Any thoughts if this would be a normal issue? I would have thought with a lighter car the Camry would be better able to stay in battery mode.
I to have an insane time keeping it in EV and starting out in EV. To achieve it I have to pretty much creep up to speed, which is far to slow for traffic. I usually do the creeping when there are no other cars around.

That said, much of my commute is traffic lights and stop signs (mpg killers) and there are many small hills (mpg killers too).

I really find that the car is mush easier to keep in EV or at 60 mpg when going above 35.

I think the pedal might be the problem or programming that kicks the ICE in too early (in my opinion). But who am I to say! I just know it is a royal pain in the booty to get anywhere near 40 in my area. Right not I am at 40.1 due to a long trip and I am struggling to keep that after two days of the normal commute.

Mike

Old 09-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

Mike - Thanks for your feedback. I also agree with your high speed experience; my Camry jumps into EV mode easier than my Highlander above 40mph but is less able to stay in EV mode at slow speeds. I'm getting better at keeping it in EV at slow speeds, but as you said, there is only so slow that you can accelerate in the car before you give up on the EV mode because it is not reasonable with traffic.

With respect to the XM, I have decided to have the antenna moved from the back windshield to the front windshield. I still can't understand why ceramic tint messed up the reception - does a dark window (35% light transmission) impair the passage of satelite signals? It's wierd that the radio recently works completely fine with occasional cutting out and then will go out completely and I will be unable to tune it in for hours.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brentunc
Mike - Thanks for your feedback. I also agree with your high speed experience; my Camry jumps into EV mode easier than my Highlander above 40mph but is less able to stay in EV mode at slow speeds. I'm getting better at keeping it in EV at slow speeds, but as you said, there is only so slow that you can accelerate in the car before you give up on the EV mode because it is not reasonable with traffic.

With respect to the XM, I have decided to have the antenna moved from the back windshield to the front windshield. I still can't understand why ceramic tint messed up the reception - does a dark window (35% light transmission) impair the passage of satelite signals? It's wierd that the radio recently works completely fine with occasional cutting out and then will go out completely and I will be unable to tune it in for hours.
No problem.

With XM and radio -- I am not sure. If the XM gets better with the antenna in the front windshield then the tint is the problem. I am not exactly sure of where the antenna for the radio is but I suspect in the back window as well since you are having trouble. They did a good job of hiding those items.

With that said, I have a 50% tint and my radio works fine. I know the tint is not a metal base but I am not sure if it is ceramic either. The tint is made by Solar Guard (I think).

Old 09-10-2008, 03:20 AM
Enthusiast

Yep, the antenna is along the back windshield and was installed by the local port. The dealership is set to move it for free (very nice of them) to see if that solves the problem. I'm hoping that the front windshield solution works since there is nothing on that window other than the factory glass. However, on my Highlander we tried an aftermarket Sirius antenna on the inside of the front windshield and it did not work. I guess we'll see...

Old 09-10-2008, 06:22 AM
Driving in stealth mode

I find that I can get my TCH into E-mode on command below 40mph once the vehicle is warmed up. Starting out in E-mode is something that has to be done very slow like Mike stated. What I do it get going close to the speed I want somewhat quickly (not a jack rabbit start) and then ease off of the pedal and then press back down on the pedal nice and easy. I know a lot of people say not to use to much of the battery but I have had strectches where I get it down to 1 or 2 bars. You just have to pay attention to your surroundings. I know where I can push the battery and then get it to recharge without using the ICE too much. I have a series of hills that follow a relatively flat section. I am in E-mode when starting the hills and just before I crest I let up and coast over the ridge and down it getting some minor regen. Then when I start back up the hill I keep the momentum going by easing back onto the pedal and into E-mode.

Getting into E-mode depends a lot on whether the vehicle is warmed up, the terrain and how well you work the pedal.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I don't mean to thread jack, but what should it cost to get a decent window tinting on the TCH?

Also, I recall seeing many old cars back in the day that have had after-market tinting that developed what looks like air bubbles between the glass and the tinting film. Is this still a problem today with after market tinting?

Old 09-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Originally Posted by jg013c
I don't mean to thread jack, but what should it cost to get a decent window tinting on the TCH?

Also, I recall seeing many old cars back in the day that have had after-market tinting that developed what looks like air bubbles between the glass and the tinting film. Is this still a problem today with after market tinting?
I was quoted $180 for my Camry from a reputable dealer. It was 35% rear windows 50% fronts.

The buble issue is not a product problem but and installer issue.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast

$180 for a tint job is either a very good price for good tint or an okay price for an okay tint. I would first recommend deciding the type of tint that you want, and then you can ask for a price range within that type of tint. For example, I wanted the best available which most would say is ceramic. For me, Formula One tint would have been around $275 while Huper Optik was $400 (I got it for $350 with military discount). Huper Optik seems to have better numbers (heat rejection, etc) than Formula One which is why I paid a premium. Unfortunately, though, they only allow one dealer in the state to sell the product which sets up a monopoly and limits how cheap the product can be had. I would guess in general that an average tint job would be $200-300 (note that I live in San Antonio which is considered to be a relatively inexpensive area).

Old 09-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast

I should drag race you in E-Mode in SA sometime. Take up both lanes on a 2 lane road and **** everyone off behind us.

Yes, I agree the E-Mode take off speed is wayyyyy too slow.

What dealership did you get your TCH from? I found it really hard to get a dealership in SA to deal.

Quick Reply: New Owner Questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands