New Owner's FAQ (2.2)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Revised FAQ

Navigation, BlueTooth Systems, etc.
  • How do I set up voice activation on the Navigation System?
    • Please see this page. Please note the reference is for the Prius and there are some small differences (e.g. Prius' Climate Control system is integrated with the Voice Commands whereas the TCH Climate Control is a stand-alone non-integrated unit, commands such as Warmer and Cooler do not work)
  • How do I set up HomeLink (garage door opener)
    • This page is missing. Please let us know if you know a resource for this information.
  • I have a Palm SmartPhone (Treo) and can't pair with the BlueTooth system.
    • When you attempt to pair the 700P the pairing completes on the handheld, but the vehicle continues to announce "searching, searching". To complete pairing, ignore the car and go to your handheld phone, press the phone application and make a call. The car will stop "searching" and connect the call. Your handheld is now paired.
  • Are there any hidden diagnostics menus (NAV users only)?
    • Debug mode:
      "There's a fun debug / diagnostic mode available in the NAV. Hold down the INFO button then cycle the headlights on, off, on, off, on, off then let go of the INFO button."
    • Display screen hidden menu:
      There is an hidden display screen menu. To access this menu, see this post.
    • Override menu and other diagnostics:
      If you have NAV disc 5.1 or a hacked version of a later disc, you may access the navigation lockout override by:
      "Press Menu
      (menu screen appears)

Press Volume
      (volume screen appears)

Press upper left corner
      Press lower left corner
      Press upper left corner
      Press lower left corner

(Service Menu will appear)"

Last edited by ericbecky; 05-20-2009 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:55 AM

How do I install...
  • ...a backup camera?
    • For instructions on installing a backup camera (with pictures), see this post.
  • ...a heater block?
    • For instructions on installing a heater block (with pictures), see this post.

Last edited by haroldo; 03-06-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:55 AM

Questions regarding changing fluids and filters
  • Where can I learn more about engine oil
    • Please see this page
  • Is there a way to make changing oil less messy?
    • Yes! Install a quick drain oil valve -- they work great. Visit the YM International Web site to purchase the part.
  • Why is my oil filter on so tight?
    • If this is your first oil change, the filter will be on extremely tight. This is because Toyota dealerships use an air gun to screw in the filter. This makes it difficult to get off and often requires you to take it to a shop.
      Tips for attempting the removal yourself:
      • Before starting your oil change, make sure you have an oil filter wrench that fits the TCH filter.
      • Before attempting to remove the filter, remove the black plastic splash guard below the filter location. This will allow you to access the filter with both hands.
  • What oil and filter should I use?
    • This question has been asked many times, and, there is no one answer. Many people have used a traditional oil (dino) 5w-20 (could also purchase a synthetic flavor), while others use a full synthetic 0w-20. See 5W-20 or 0W-20??? for further discussion. Click here to see the results of a survey on oil grade choice.
      As far as the oil filter is concerned, there has been less discussion on this topic. Some have noted that Purolator might manufacture the Toyota filters and feel they are the best choice.
  • How much should my oil change cost?
    • These are rough estimates and should not be used for exact pricing guidance.
      If you have your oil changed...
      • ... at your dealer, the price will be between $25 and $75, depending on the type of oil you choose to use. Some people have reported dealerships charging close to $100 for synthetic oil.
      • ...at a local shop, the price will be between $25 and $50, depending on the type of oil you choose to use.
      • ...by yourself, the price will drop to between $20 and $40, depending on the type of oil you choose to use.
  • What are the recommended engine and transaxle coolant change intervals?
    • For information about recommended engine and transaxle coolant change intervals, see this post
  • How do I remove the air filter?
    • For instructions on removing the air filter (with pictures), see this post.

Last edited by haroldo; 03-06-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 AM

I do not like the look of those hybrid badges. Should I remove them? How can I remove them?
  • Improper removal might lead to paint damage. Perform this process at your own risk. The original poster and others in forum are not responsible for any damages.

Removal of the hybrid badges, located above both front wheel wells and on the trunk lid, has been debated concerning the safety of emergency response personnel. Some feel the removal of these badges could lead emergency response personnel to believe the vehicle is a non-hybrid thus putting them in harms way. Others feel emergency response personnel are trained to deal with hybrids and their tactics would not put them in harms way regardless of whether or not the vehicle is a hybrid. (My two cents...I think it unwise to potentially put someone else at risk just for the appearance of your car. You bought a hybrid, be proud of it!) If you feel conformable with the potential safety issue, and would like to remove the badges, you might do so with little effort.
    Removal of the badges is easiest during warm weather and when you first get the car. The badges are held on by a soft adhesive. To remove this adhesive, use dental floss in a saw-like motion starting at one corner and slowly working your way to the opposite corner. If the adhesive is difficult to cut through, you may try slightly heating the area with a blow dryer.

After the badge has been taken off, the rest of the adhesive can be removed by rubbing your finger around the area creating a ball of adhesive. Again, this works best when the metal is warm.

Last edited by ericbecky; 01-15-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 AM

Buying an extended warranty?
  • Find out if others are purchasing extended warranties.
  • Some dealerships increase the price of the "extras" (such as a warranty) to make additional money. You will find most dealerships will offer you a 7 year / 100,000 mile / $0 deductable warranty for almost $2000. If you are like the rest of us, this will leave you in shock!

Good news. You can purchase an extended warranty from any Toyota dealership in the country (U.S. -- unsure about other countries). Because of this, there are a number of dealerships that offer extremely discounted warranties.

Two frequently mentioned dealerships:
    • Midwest Toyota Superstore (Kansas) - (620) 662-6631
    • Toyota of Greenfield (Massachusetts) - (413) 772-0231
    For additional information on this subject, see Where to buy an Extended Warranty - Best Price.

The dealerships listed are not meant to be an advertisement or endorsement by this site, forum, or members of this forum. Use these contacts only if you feel comfortable conducting such business. As always, do your own research before making any purchase commitment.

Last edited by haroldo; 03-06-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 AM

My car acts differently when it first starts up and when it is warmed up, are there different stages?
  • The warm up times vary with the temperature as well as use of the car's climate control system. The ECO mode helps, but if the temperature is below 40F, you may see the ICE stay running for a long time if you have the heat on.

The TCH has 4 stages of operation.
    1. Stage 1 is initial warmup. The ICE will not shut off and battery assist is greater than normal. In warmer weather, this lasts a minute or less. In colder weather it can last a few minutes.
    2. Stage 2 is engine warmup. It lasts 2 or 3 miles in cool weather, longer in cold weather. The ICE shuts off if you stop, but will not shut off when coasting.
    3. Stage 3 is partial hybrid mode. The ICE is warm, and the engine shuts off if you coast between 35 and 41mph. If you stop with the ICE running, it will stop after a short time, but stays running once started until you coast (between 35 and 41mph) or stop again.
    4. Stage 4 is full hybrid mode. Enter it by braking to a complete stop (or slowing to a speed below 5 miles per hour) for approximately 7 -10 seconds (until the ICE shuts off), it is possible to enter Stage 4. It is hard to know if this ICE shutdown is due to stage 3 or entering stage 4. The only way to know is to accelerate to ~20mph and coast.
      If the ICE...
      • ...continues to run after you stop the car, it is still in stage 3.
      • ...stops within a few seconds the car is in stage 4.
      In stop and go traffic, stage 4 lets the ICE stop any time you coast, instead of having to be over 35mph when coasting. If the ICE is running, turn off the heat and the ICE turns off, you'll know that you are in stage 4.
      If you want to try and force stage 4, the ICE must be running when you stop or the TCH will not enter stage 4, it will remain in stage 3. You can hold your foot on the brake and "blip" the throttle to "start" the ICE, and then enter Stage 4 after it shuts down (~ 7 seconds.)
    Remember, cold weather conditions and turning on the heater may prevent the ICE from stopping (but it will keep you warm, use your own discretion and common sense).
  • Typically how long do the stages last?
    • Assuming moderate (50 to 60F) temperatures when driving on suburban roads (between 25 to 40 miles per hour)...
      • Stage 1 lasts approximately 30 seconds
      • Stage 2 approximately 3 minutes
      • Stage 3 approximately 3 minutes
      Of course, warmer temps reduce the Stage 2 and 3 times and colder temps can greatly increase them.

Last edited by ericbecky; 11-05-2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: edited stage 4 sentence
Old 03-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Default Re: New Owner's FAQ (2.1)

How do I adjust the...(seatbelt warning, headlight auto off timer, etc.)?
  • There are many modifications that you can make to your car and they are detailed in the owner's manual (it's very helpful, if you haven't read it, you should!). Link is for the 2007 model, the 2008 is substantially similar.
    Some of the modifications that you can do yourself include:
    • Automatic door locking and unlocking options.
    • Rear view mirror compass settings
    • etc.
    There are far too many to list, but the options can easily be found in the owner's manual .
    In addition, there are a number of customizable features ranging from warning tones to headlight auto on sensitivity settings to heating and air conditioning controls that can be only be adjusted by your dealer.

Last edited by haroldo; 03-06-2008 at 11:48 AM.