New Purchase Dealer Survey

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New Purchase Dealer Survey

I used Edmunds.com dealer quote service to get emailed quotes from 3 local Toyota dealers. All dealers responded, but only two offered quotes via email. The third just kept wanting me to call them or come in. Of the two that offered a quote via email, one was about $1150 over invoice (but below MSRP) and the other was more than that. I went with the one that just $1150 over invoice. I was very pleased with the entire buying experience and gave good ratings on the dealer survey. I've had the TCH 4 weeks and have received two phone calls from the dealer asking if I had any questions. I get free oil changes every 5th time. When I picked up the car, they took a picture of me and my daughter in front of the car. Last week I got a calendar in the mail from the dealer...it was a two year calendar with the photo they took of me when I picked up the car. Although that's not a big deal at all...it was something they just didn't have to do. The real question is how their service department is...and I guess I just have to wait to find that out.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Advanced Technology-PZEV

I walked into Motorworld Toyota...a mile one group....had a really pleasant experience...though the toyota sales people were kinda rude, i found a really helpful sales person in the Used car section who was able to order the car i wanted, since I knew exactly what my needs were. used cars was the first place i went to, but ended up with a TCH. Today i learnt they serve free continental breakfast if you have an early morning service appointment! 7 am to 12 pm!

Old 12-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

My TCH purchase was an adventure of patience. I visited the dealer, test drove the car (in mid November) and told the sales guy I would give it some thought. I went out to my Prius, came back inside with a card and asked him to look into end-of year pricing and call me. No call.

Went to the same dealer 2 weeks later, the person I talked to that day thought he may have seen me with the other guy and I said "He had 2 weeks to call and didn't, you're the man now". We drove again talked some more, I again went out to the Prius, got card and asked him to look into pricing and give me a call. No call.

I am a professional salesman and use the "out to the car, and back with the card" thing to impress upon the salesman that I: A) Am willing to walk out, but that I am B) still interested.

Well, I finally went to another dealer, dealt with a guy who lied to my face and said things like "Larry, if I sell this to you at invoice, I don't make anything. The question is, how much do you think my wife and kids should get from this?" My answer to that sissy was "Mike, I am a professional salesman. I know that you are lying and that apparently you think I am stupid, have a nice life."

Sooo, back to the original dealer for salesman #3. This time I got the new truck manager who is going to be spearheading their Tundra effort in the spring. In other words... a no-nonsense guy. I told him about #1, #2 and that I was close to a deal with his competitor but did not like their tactics.

In the end, the car was had for $500 over invoice, a $1050 extended warranty (7/100K) and a free spoiler installed. If I get the survey, I will be honest about the first two guys, but give the actual salesman high marks.

Incidentally, the service department is quite good and also has high-speed internet for waiting customers. I am sorry to go so long, but this thread hit a nerve as I only got the car one week ago (and 400 miles) today.

Regards,

Old 12-29-2006, 04:25 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Rcommander
...Today i learnt they serve free continental breakfast if you have an early morning service appointment! 7 am to 12 pm!
Don't ALL dealers throw a pot of coffee on and leave a box of Dunkin Donuts on the counter?
I guess I'm spoiled.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Buying a new car shouldn't be a hassle. I bought my TCH through the Costco Buying Service. I put in the car I was looking for. (a TCH) and they pointed me to the local dealer who works with them. He quoted $400 off list from a preprinted Costco sheet. I could have saved more on an LE or XLE. I then went to the other four dealers in north Atlanta and they were $800 to $3400 higher.(yes $3400). I went back to Marietta Toyota and gave the man a check. The car came on time for the full tax credit. In fact the car came early and they held it for me so I would NOT have to pay additional ad valorem taxes. (it's a Georgia thing) No hassles. No haggling. No hidden charges. I'll never buy a car any other way again.

Last edited by Al Froio; 01-08-2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: error