Newbie Headlight Question....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 04:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default Newbie Headlight Question....

Hello everybody....

Just got my new Ribbon Blue TCH yesterday. It seems like there are a few "modes" for the headlights..... both auto and manual. The owners manual isn't that clear. If somebody could give me a quick overview, I would really appreciate it.

Mark

Old 07-26-2006, 05:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbie Headlight Question....

Hey Mark,

Great name, but you spell it wrong. There is the DRL (Daytime Running Lights) OFF mode which will keep everything off. There is the AUTO mode which will turn on the DRL during the day. When the car senses that it's dark outside it will turn on the full headlights, taillights and set the dash display accordingly just as if you turned on the headlights manually. The next position (with the dot) is manually turning on the parking lights. The last position with the headlight symbol is the manual turn on for the headlights.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:37 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply, Marc. It looks like we are neighbors.... I am in Suffolk. In the manual (page 120,121) it goes into more detail about the lights staying on for 30 seconds or not. It talks about postion 1 with tail lights and position 2 with headlights.... It just isn't that clear. Any further clarification would be great!!

Thanks again...........Mark

Old 07-26-2006, 06:05 AM

I didin't even notice that you're in Suffolk. Where'd you get your TCH? I got mine at Checkered Flag in VA Beach. Here's a link to a great online tutorial site that gives a good explanation.

Honestly I just glossed over it, figuring I didn't need to know most of it. The bottom line is that if you leave it in AUTO (which I do most of the time) and notice the lights on when you get out of the car don't worry. They'll turn off. The only time I turn them on manually is when it's raining because the headlights often won't turn on if it's not dark enough.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:34 AM
HSD Organic Interface

I just leave mine in Auto all the time, works fine. Nice to have the sensor!

My Sienna has an auto setting but no sensor, so headlights are on whenever the van is running. Because of that I never use the auto setting on that vehicle as DRLs are mandatory here so are always on during the day/rain anyway.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:09 AM
"Excellent!" Addict

That "OFF" setting is why my insurance company won't give me a discount for daytime running lights - if they're defeatable, no discount.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies. That link to the on-line info/manual was fantastic. If anybody hasn't been to that site, click on the link earlier in this thread.

BTW.... got my TCH from Priority Toyota in Chesapeake. Just happened to be driving by and they had a blue ribbon one with plastic still on the seats. 2 hours later... I was driving away in it after trading in a 2006 BMW 325i.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by onbypass
BTW.... got my TCH from Priority Toyota in Chesapeake. Just happened to be driving by and they had a blue ribbon one with plastic still on the seats. 2 hours later... I was driving away in it after trading in a 2006 BMW 325i.
That's where I test drove the TCH. I test drove a Prius at Checkered Flag. Would have gone with Priority as they're closer to my home but they offered me $2000 less on the trade-in. They're not $2000 closer to my home.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:24 PM

You know, some folks have complained (either here or in other forums) that the sensitivity of the auto-on headlights is set to low. In other words, it has to be pitch black out before they turn on.

I have noticed that mine might actually seem TOO sensitive. During my drive to work this morning around 7:10am, there was a bit of light rain, and I noticed my dash lights going dim, and then bright, and then dim, etc. I was afraid cars in front of me would think I was flashing my lights at them! My IP lights are dimmed somewhat from full brightness, so this makes it noticeable - especially when the headlights turn off, and those gauges with their beautiful blue arcs go back to full brightness.