Nippon Oil: ENEOS 0W-20

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Site Sponsor
Default Nippon Oil: ENEOS 0W-20

More and more Toyota, Lexus, and Honda dealerships are now stocking 0W-20 in DRUMS and BULK due to the increasing number of hybrid vehicles on the road.

Nippon Oil is leading this effort to get ENEOS 0W-20 into dealerships, quick lubes, etc. to meet this increasing demand.

This will benefit both the dealerships and the hybrid owners because:

1. Service technicians no longer have to handle hundreds of quart bottles.

2. 0W-20 is less expensive in BULK vs. QUART botttles. So, the cost of a 0W-20 oil change should come down to both the dealership and the customer

So, Please continue to request the 0W-20 at your dealership!

Old 11-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nippon Oil: ENEOS 0W-20

Thanks for this info. I have stopped taking my TCH to the dealer for the oil changes because of the hard time they give me when I request the TOYOTA Recommended Oil viscosity.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Site Sponsor

I'm sorry about your experience at the dealership re: 0W-20.
Some of it is ignorance, some of it is resistance to change, and some of it is the economics. 0W-20 is considerably more expensive than conventional 5W-30.

If you are inclined to be a Do-It-Yourself-er, my only recommendation is to use an API (American Petroleum Institute) "Starbust" certified 0W-20 to maintain the warranty.

Here is a link for reference:
http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByVisc...iscosity=0W-20

Old 11-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I like the idea of larger containers. Maybe there could also be some way to purchase oil from large vats, in customer supplied reusable containers, for the change it yourself crowd. You have to cringe looking at the rows and rows of quart bottles for sale at automotive retailers.

I listened to a radio discussion with a recycler discussing the logistics of extracting residual oil from the inside surface of such bottles, and then recycling the cleaned bottles responsibly. He noted that quick-lube and dealerships tend to leave the most oil in each bottle, being on a tight schedule.

This recycler noted disposable oil filter were an even bigger problem to recycle responsibly. Maybe auto manufacturers should reconcider using oil filters where only the paper element need be recycled. And maybe sub. a more durable, wash-and-reuse filter material.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 11-30-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: grammar, continuity, spelling
Old 12-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
I like the idea of larger containers. Maybe there could also be some way to purchase oil from large vats, in customer supplied reusable containers, for the change it yourself crowd. You have to cringe looking at the rows and rows of quart bottles for sale at automotive retailers.
I don't know if any dealerships are set up to sell BULK oil in small quantities. But, would you be interested in 5 gal. PAILS = 20 QUARTS?

I imagine the PAIL pricing would be better than QUART pricing and the PAILS can be re-used to collect used oil, or as a sitting stool!