No power assisted steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:18 AM
Enthusiast
Question No power assisted steering

Two weeks ago (Monday), I got into the car early in the morning heading to work. The car was parked since Friday night in the Garage (rainy weekend, no golf). When heading away it was hard to steer. I did some power off and on and the probel persisted. I dorve the car to the dealer the same day. They called and told me they ran the scan to diagnose and receive a code that the Power steering module needs to be replaced. The moudle was not in stock. It took a week to have it replaced and again a code was received. This time the TS instructions led to replacing the steering link (rack&pinion). Once again the part was not in-stock; another week waiting. Finally, the part arrived and was replaced. This time everything worked fine. I drove the car coming out from the dealer and it feels great. Still I'm concerned that this could be a weak spot since the PS system is a new electric one on these cars. Just wanted to share my experience. My car is currently 24,300 miles.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: No power assisted steering

I wonder if this wasn't somehow related to steering wheel clicks some people experienced, which was caused by somehow improper construction of rack and pinion assembly. I think there is TSB issued and Toyota has revised the assembly which should be better.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: No power assisted steering

Very good point Pete4. It is curious. The car is behaving ok so far. I alos owns a Sienna 2004 and have felt what you mention. Kind different of courses since Sienna use HPS vs EPS in the Camry HV. Will be more observing and will keep you all posted.

TCH2007PR