O7 TCH car door replacement due to Rust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 09:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default O7 TCH car door replacement due to Rust?

Mine is 12 years old, yes old car with low mileage but the exterior still shines except for a bad rust on lower driver's side door. Wish I had pictures to show. So I took my car to auto body & mechanic shop for opinion. The guy in charge looks & says $1200 . I asked for better price and then he says $850 to fix the very bad rust there and some minor rust on the edge of the door too. Today he calls me and says the rust is very deep inside and the door needs replacement which means it will be more then $850 as first quoted or come pick the car. I told him I went there due to good things people say about the owner ( on review sites) and I want to hear from him. I asked for call back from the owner. I got a call from the owner and he says that's what that thought it would be but rust is deep inside and he would replace the door, put the glass and original things back on the replacement door and for same $850 originally quoted. I asked what the new door is or if it is original toyota door, he says that would just cost way too high for everyone and he would use aftermarket or used car door and polish and fix to make sure everything looks good . What do you guys think? I also asked him to look at the frequent tire leak issue I have been having for over a year and asked to check and let me know if suspension, struts, sway bar are okay. Told him the Midas location where i went for oil change 3 months ago told me, i need struts and sway bar replaced. He says many do this to rip you off. He says he always gives honest opinion cos if he cheats like the other guys do, he would have to answer to god. Says he drove my car for a mile and seems very fine car but he says he will look once the door replacement is done.