OBDII reader

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default OBDII reader

I'm getting a check engine light on my 07 Toyota Camry Hybrid with 142K miles. I have a Geniscan GS100 code reader that I've tried to use to pull the codes with but I keep getting an error message when it tries to link. With a regular car I turn on ignition without starting car and press the read button. I've tried just pushing start button with both foot off the brake and on and either way I get the error message. Any trick to pulling the codes that I don't know of? Thanks

Old 08-08-2011, 03:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: OBDII reader

I can't tell where you live. If you have a Autozone store near you, give them a call. I think they still give free OBDII checks for any stored ECU errors. They should have a book telling what the error (if any) may point out.

My suggestion is, always start with making sure your gas cap is tight.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:39 AM

I have standard OBDII reader (not sure of the make at the moment) and I have no problems pulling the codes. Did you try to start up the car? I drove the car with the reader hooked up, shouldn't do any harm. TCH is little different than other cars, so it could be acc mode is causing the error? Normal car is fully powered in acc mode, TCH is not, for example traction battery is disconnected and that makes engine and transmission not functional and therefore computer could be sending some wild codes?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Enthusiast

I'll try again with engine running and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't I'll take it to a auto parts store that checks them and see if there's does any better. Thanks

Old 08-09-2011, 08:59 AM

i wouldn't. i'd pay $70 and have full diagnostics run by a shop, not a store.
of course, it might simply be bad fuel tank cap, which is one of the most common CEL triggers, but who knows.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Enthusiast

I'd changed my regular gas cap to a locking type because 2 times while my wife was at work someone got past the locking door and stole all of her gas($100+). I tried to buy a locking cap at the dealer and they said they don't sell them because of a problem with them causing the cel light to come on. I went ahead and bought one from an auto parts store and have been using it for a few months. On the chance that it may be this aftermarket cap, I've reinstalled the one that came with the car. The first time I started the car the light came back on. I'll see if it keeps coming on and if it does I'll find someone else to pull the code and erase it if it's the cap. Thanks

Old 08-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

just disconnect the battery for 15mins, it will clear the code if it's a gas cap or something like a false code. If it's a major problem it will go off again.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Without putting your foot on the brake, press the power button two times.

I use a bluetooth OBDII elm327 reader with app 'Torque' all the time on my TCH, with and without the engine running.

(for instance when I want to check coolant temperature but not turn the engine on)

You can get them on ebay for $20-$50 shipped
-Mike

Old 08-10-2011, 11:35 AM

simply pull ECU fuse out for 10 seconds. no need to disconnect battery, you'll end up redoing all your settings.

locking cap, huh... interesting. I was under firm impression that modern cars have elbow with metal screen built into gas tank filler tube, so that gas can not be siphoned out. I mean- it's been like this on many cars.

Even more surprise - dealer was right on the CEL code for those...

Old 08-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Good call I get sick of reprogramming the radio pre-sets!

Quick Reply: OBDII reader

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands