OIL CHANGE - final questions re. interval and oil weight... chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default OIL CHANGE - final questions re. interval and oil weight... chime in!

So if the recommend interval for an oil change is 5000 miles (8000 kms) based on regular (not synthetic) 5W20 or 0W20, and assuming you follow this recommendation what are the benefits to using synthetic (at a higher cost)?

Most of the reasons I've come across thus far for using synthetic has been that you can extend the recommended interval. But if you change every 5000 miles this argument is thrown out the window.

If you are using synthetic, why? If you're using regular, why?

Which weight (5W20 or 0W20) are you using? Why? Are your reasons based on the climate of where you live?

Is regular 5W20 and regular 0W20 priced differently? I was told by a local dealership that the 0W20 is more than the 5W20.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Dazed and Confused
Default Re: OIL CHANGE - final questions re. interval and oil weight... chime in!

Is there a non synthetic 0w20?

If so, that is what I will use.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: OIL CHANGE - final questions re. interval and oil weight... chime in!

Originally Posted by ag4ever
Is there a non synthetic 0w20?

If so, that is what I will use.
There's definitely a non synthetic 0W20. 0W20 is $15 (Canadian funds) more than the 5W20 at my dealership.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

First off - I don't believe in extended drain intervals for an oil simply because it's synthetic. It's true that oil itself never wears out but is simply diluted or contaminated from combustion byproducts as well as just general wear and soughing of materials from the mechanical assemblies.

That said - The TCH is a different sort of animal from your typical ICE propelled vehicle. The ICE runs more at a steady-state or not at all rather than varying RPMs and dynamic loads.

In a normal vehicle, I change my oil every 2500-3000 miles (yes even synthetics which I use in all my vehicles - Mobil-1) - but in the TCH, I think that drain intervals beyond that 3000 mile limit would not be uncalled for.
I would say that 5000 miles would be a reasonable maximum interval.

Mobil-1 0w20 - Minneapolis MN

Old 11-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I switched to 0W20 and plan on running that all year round, even though it rarely gets below freezing here in GA. I beleive the manual calls for 5K changes and I will probably adopt that shortly, I usually do the first few oil changes well under to flush out the stuff from engine break in, but next chnage will be a 4K change and will probably do 5K there after.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kluken
I switched to 0W20 and plan on running that all year round, even though it rarely gets below freezing here in GA. I beleive the manual calls for 5K changes and I will probably adopt that shortly, I usually do the first few oil changes well under to flush out the stuff from engine break in, but next chnage will be a 4K change and will probably do 5K there after.
Switched to 0W20 regular or synthetic?

Old 11-22-2006, 05:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mobil 1 0W-20 for me at next change (6,000 mile change) and then I will start 5,000 mile intervals.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast

I do not use synthetic oil because I do not drive my hybrid every day or two. Synthetic oils are so slippery that if a vehicle sits unstarted for 3 or more days, the oil will drain off those critical and not quite so critical parts. The thought of starting the ICE without many of the parts being properly lubricated makes me shudder! Can you say rapid, excessive engine wear?

Old 12-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Prius2Camry
I do not use synthetic oil because I do not drive my hybrid every day or two. Synthetic oils are so slippery that if a vehicle sits unstarted for 3 or more days, the oil will drain off those critical and not quite so critical parts. The thought of starting the ICE without many of the parts being properly lubricated makes me shudder! Can you say rapid, excessive engine wear?

Is this a joke or a troll???? Maybe both ROTFFLMAO

Old 12-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Skywagon,

That is neither a joke nor a troll. I was given this insight from the chief metalurgist at one of the world's major motor companies. So ignore or belittle it at your risk.

Quick Reply: OIL CHANGE - final questions re. interval and oil weight... chime in!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands