OIL CHANGE - final questions re. interval and oil weight... chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:20 AM
The Regenerator
Default Re: OIL CHANGE - final questions re. interval and oil weight... chime in!

And I apologize if my last comments were unduly harsh.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: OIL CHANGE - final questions re. interval and oil weight... chime in!

skoh,

I understand about getting excited, after I passed 50, I get excited every day I wake up in the morning....Just try to keep it down to a dull roar and no one will think anything about it. Everyone has their favorites they promote and those brands that they will NEVER use again (EX: I will NEVER buy another Volvo...).

Did I mention how much I hate Volvo????

Old 10-26-2008, 01:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skoh
Hey GeorgiaHybrid. I understand that you are a Do-It-Yourself-er and that's fine.

But, for those people that prefer the convenience of getting their oil changed at the dealership, I am merely trying to let them know to specifically request 0W-20 - because it is available in BULK.

And yes. There are many manufacturers of the 0W-20. I attached a link to the API certified 0W-20 in my previous post. http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByVisc...iscosity=0W-20

Your area may have dealers that actually listen and do what the factory recommends. Here in Jax, that doesn't seem to be the case. I recently took my '08 to the dealer (1st oil change came included in the price) and they promptly filled it with 5w30, despite my specific request for 0w20. Complained with no satisfaction. Last time they'll see me for any maintenance.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 AM
The Regenerator

Originally Posted by Frodo
Your area may have dealers that actually listen and do what the factory recommends. Here in Jax, that doesn't seem to be the case. I recently took my '08 to the dealer (1st oil change came included in the price) and they promptly filled it with 5w30, despite my specific request for 0w20. Complained with no satisfaction. Last time they'll see me for any maintenance.
Frodo:

For the good of the group, please tell us which dealer that was. They certainly don't deserve the benefit of any discretion on your part. They should be exposed for what they are. Names please!!!

Old 10-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Frodo:

For the good of the group, please tell us which dealer that was. They certainly don't deserve the benefit of any discretion on your part. They should be exposed for what they are. Names please!!!
Arlington Toyota on Atlantic. Bought the car from them, seemed OK, and others I spoke with had OK experiences with them. The whole service experience left a lot to be desired - 'tanned' my car for an hour (service was supposed to take 30 min or less, took 1.5 hours) 'cause the shop was backed up - didn't tell me about the backup, wouldn't take an appointment.

Ticket said the guy adjusted tire pressure to 35 - actual pressure was ~45(verified with 2 gauges). Bottom of the car was greasy (didn't clean up after filter removal). I guess I got spoiled with the Honda dealer (had a Pilot prior to the TCH) - they seemed to actually listen and do the work requested, and the car came back washed and 'quick detailed'.

But at least the oil level was OK.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frodo
Argh! Roseville Toyota is saying they want me to pay the difference in oil costs (I have the prepaid maintenance plan) so I printed the TSB recommending 0W20 for the TCH from here:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tml#post165433

Old 10-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've printed it out also, but would like a clarification.

The TSB is dated Aug 3/06, and lists 'Applicable vehicles: 2006-2007 applicable model year Toyota vehicles'.

a) is there a newer version of this TSB, or
b) do TSBs carry forward to newer MYs?

I'm a bit leery in taking this TSB to my dealer and having them try and tell me it is only for the 07 TCH

Thanks

Old 10-28-2008, 02:00 AM
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by chris_h
Argh! Roseville Toyota is saying they want me to pay the difference in oil costs (I have the prepaid maintenance plan) so I printed the TSB recommending 0W20 for the TCH from here:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tml#post165433
For a while I had to bring in my own oil and they would do the oil change and filter for $15.

But, Toyota/Lexus dealerships should have the 0W-20 in quarts available (Toyota branded - Red bottle). I'm guessing around $5-6/quart.

The reason our local dealership went to bulk 0W-20 was that they had so many customers specifically requesting 0W-20 that his service techs were complaining about going through 100s of quart bottles per month.

OK. And I'm guessing the dealership saved a few bucks going to bulk!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:04 AM
Site Sponsor

ekpolk, GeorgiaHybrid:

Thanks guys!

Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

To both questions I have to say "I don't know." Sorry to be of so little help. Maybe the dealer can look up the latest version of the TSB.

Originally Posted by BOFH
I've printed it out also, but would like a clarification.

The TSB is dated Aug 3/06, and lists 'Applicable vehicles: 2006-2007 applicable model year Toyota vehicles'.

a) is there a newer version of this TSB, or
b) do TSBs carry forward to newer MYs?

I'm a bit leery in taking this TSB to my dealer and having them try and tell me it is only for the 07 TCH

Thanks