Oil Filter question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:41 AM
Professor Emeritus
Default Oil Filter question

I have been using Toyota filters on my TCH since I got it. I did not feel like driving to the dealer to get one this time so I picked up a Mobil 1 filter from the local auto parts store. It appears to be quite a bit shorter than the factory filter. It is the "103" filter.

Is it ok to use this filter or should I take it back and just go get a Toyota filter? Being shorter it seems that it would have less filter media inside. Or maybe the media is different and more efficient? Oh, and it does have the "drain back valve".

Old 05-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Filter question

well, here's a food for thought.
yes, you have more filtering material in a larger filter.
then again, you have 2nd best filter available for sale in the country. first best is for Japanese market only and is made by Honda. 3rd best is K&N, followed by Purolator.
so, it's your choice. I use either K&N, or M1. mof, K&N decided to jag their filters price up by like 5 bucks, M1 didn't, so last oil change i did i went with M1.
but, to go back to your question. 103 sounds right for the car. if there is MAJOR difference between the 2, go for dealership one. if it's a cosmetic difference, it's probably "bag of chips" one. then you should sleep well with M1 installed.
i'd safely say, it's not as much a filter, as oil that you use.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:05 PM

not to be blamed of bogus claims - and i must say, he did update his research significantly:

K&N

It's a white Mobil 1 filter with a nut welded to the back. It's made by Champion Labs using what I call their "performance" design instead of the "Ecore". Save the $2-$3 plus shipping and get the Mobil 1.

Mobil 1

This filter is made by Champion Labs using what I call their "performance" design instead of the "Ecore". It uses a synthetic fiber element that can filter out very small particles and has a high holding capacity. It is rated by the manufacturer at just under the Purolator Pure One as far as filtering capability, but is still very much above conventional paper filters. It also has a very strong construction to withstand high pressure spikes during start-up. Given the choice between the Purolator Pure One and the Mobil 1 filters, I would choose the Mobil 1 because of the restriction concerns of the Pure One. However, as with all Mobil 1 products, expect to pay 2 - 3 times as much for this filter. I have seen this filter sold at Auto Zone and K-mart and used them a few times, but I feel they are not worth the money in the end.

Though I have never had problems, I had received feedback from a few people back in 1999/2000 that these filters may leak at the base. It seems that the seal between the backplate and can may burst under high pressure (at startup). These were on Ford engine applications.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil.../opinions.html

o am probably safe to say that Toyota filter is not made by Toyota anyway. question is - who makes them?

Old 05-21-2011, 02:18 PM

i have too much time on hand.
cloud says dealer use oil filters made by Denso in Thailand. opinions vary. about 75% say quality aftermarket filters are better.
ORIGINAL Japanese Denso is not sold here, and may come with your car, if it was made in Japan. Filtering element is sponge type material.
Here's comparison of the 2 for a truck application. i say - stick with M1 or K&N or Purolator.
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/par...ers/index.html

Old 05-22-2011, 04:24 AM
Professor Emeritus

Thanks for the info. Good reading all. I guess I will be using the filter.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Engineering Professor

The shorter filter is the one for smaller Toyota engines (1.5 Liter in my 2004 Prius). It is interchangeable with the longer one, but has less filter surface area and may not last as long as the correct filter in your TCH.

JeffD

Old 05-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by jdenenberg
The shorter filter is the one for smaller Toyota engines (1.5 Liter in my 2004 Prius). It is interchangeable with the longer one, but has less filter surface area and may not last as long as the correct filter in your TCH.

JeffD
Thanks for the info.

I just got home. I'm reading more on it now. It appears that the Mobil 1 filter is a little different. The M1-103 filter is the only "Mobil 1" filter listed on Mobil's site for the TCH. There is another larger filter for these engines, an MO4476. But, it IS NOT a "Mobil 1" filter, just a "Mobil" filter. The difference is in the material inside the filter. Or so I am reading.

It is not necessarily for the smaller engine. But, for several engines that Toyota manufactures (according to Mobil's website).

Old 05-24-2011, 03:04 AM

In 2007 and earlier it was Purolator that manufactured the toyota filters here in America, which were the air, cabin and oil filters. I'm not sure if they still manufacture them, but the purolator pure one was one of the best oil filters ever tested back in 2007. If you buy one, look at the box as it has a chart which shows the full flow filter rating compared to the other brands.

The toyota oem filter has 8 holes on top which match both the plus and pure one purolator filters. Both filters have the anti drain-back valve. The plus is usually $2 lower priced than their popular pure one filter.

Last edited by rburt07; 05-24-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by litespeed
Thanks for the info.

I just got home. I'm reading more on it now. It appears that the Mobil 1 filter is a little different. The M1-103 filter is the only "Mobil 1" filter listed on Mobil's site for the TCH. There is another larger filter for these engines, an MO4476. But, it IS NOT a "Mobil 1" filter, just a "Mobil" filter. The difference is in the material inside the filter. Or so I am reading.

It is not necessarily for the smaller engine. But, for several engines that Toyota manufactures (according to Mobil's website).
personally, if it fits right, and does not leak, i'd go with a larger canister filter. from Mobil. more oil filters through. they came up with dual filter systems for good reason.
it is indeed amazing how tiny those filters look for the vehicle size.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:54 AM
Professor Emeritus

Well, one thing I learned a long time ago is that filter size does not mean squat up to a point. I have cut plenty of them open (back when I cared enough to do so). You can have 2 filters of the same diameter and have one 2 inches longer than the other. In some cases the bigger one will have less filter media inside the canister. It is all about the thickness of the filter media, how many pleats and how deep the pleats are. In some cases even the larger filter could have 50 sq. in. + less filter media inside the canister.

This has got my curiosity up again. I plan to cut open the Toyota filter after it comes off the car and then roll out and measure the element. Same with the Mobil 1 here in the next month. I want to try the PureOne next time and do the same.

I ran across this the other day. An interesting read. It is old, but still interesting:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/toyota.html

Quick Reply: Oil Filter question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands