Oil Filter question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Filter question

Originally Posted by litespeed
Well, one thing I learned a long time ago is that filter size does not mean squat up to a point. I have cut plenty of them open (back when I cared enough to do so). You can have 2 filters of the same diameter and have one 2 inches longer than the other. In some cases the bigger one will have less filter media inside the canister. It is all about the thickness of the filter media, how many pleats and how deep the pleats are. In some cases even the larger filter could have 50 sq. in. + less filter media inside the canister.

This has got my curiosity up again. I plan to cut open the Toyota filter after it comes off the car and then roll out and measure the element. Same with the Mobil 1 here in the next month. I want to try the PureOne next time and do the same.

I ran across this the other day. An interesting read. It is old, but still interesting:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/toyota.html
I don't know, after seeing the site you included and reading the details, looks like the toyota oem filter is best.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:51 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by rburt07
I don't know, after seeing the site you included and reading the details, looks like the toyota oem filter is best.
I agree... For the $$$ it appears to be really good. I'm not really sure if these are the same model filters as ours? It is an old review.

Problem for me is that no one has them around here. I dropped into the local parts store and got what they had (not much in stock). The Toyota dealer is a long way from here. I need to either buy a case of OEM filters or at least buy more than one at time (we drive a lot and I'm doing 7500 mile changes).

In a pinch it appears that the Purolator is the best economical choice over the OEM.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

i guess, i'll repeat myself:

cloud says dealer use oil filters made by Denso in Thailand. opinions vary. about 75% say quality aftermarket filters are better.
ORIGINAL Japanese Denso is not sold here, and may come with your car, if it was made in Japan. Filtering element is sponge type material.
Here's comparison of the 2 for a truck application. i say - stick with M1 or K&N or Purolator.
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/par...ers/index.html

folks, once again. i think, you make a mountain out of a mouse. filter is not that much important. it is OIL you use that matters. what good will the best filter in the world do, if you use cheapest one on the shelf oil?

btw, cloud also says, that canister size DOES matter. even if there's less filtration material inside, though it depends on what that is too. larger canisters are believed to be better as they contain more oil for cooling purposes. i just read what cloud says.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I buy my Toyota filters on Ebay by the case.