Oil filter - Tight!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Oil filter - Tight!

I know few people have commented on the oil filter being very tight, which I agree with. I've been doing my own oil changes on my TCH for over a year now and today I could not get the oil filter off. I eventually brought it to the Toyota dealership along with the oil and filter i purchased and had them do it.

I usually hand-tighten the oil filter then tighten another 1/4 turn as per instructions. In the future, is hand-tightening it enough?

I do not want to run into the same problem of the oil filter being to tight again, although I don't know how tight the dealership put the oil filter on this time around.

Any tips on how to tackle a tight oil filter? I used an end cap. What happened was that it was so tight that the wrench was slipping where it connected to the end cap. It was made of plastic, so next time I'll get a metal one. It's just hard to get enough torque while being under the car without it being jacked up.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil filter - Tight!

Did the dealer give you any advise on how tight it should be? I have always have done hand tight with previous cars. I tried to do the first oil change and I could not get the first one off! I have had the dealer change all the oil so far. I would like to get back to doing myself again.

Your post is interesting to know!

Bill

Old 03-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Gecko,

Try using a "strap" style of filter wrench. It was the only way I could find to get the factory filter off my TCH. The good thing about these is the more torque you place on them, the tighter they get. Keep putting the new filters on by hand like you have been doing but buy a good quality metal filter wrench for most changes.

The strap will get anything off but is a pain to use. If a standard "cup" wrench will work, it will be faster. One thing to watch out for, the strap wrench does tighten up and "crawl" around the filter. Make sure that you do not end up forcing it into the block.

Edit: Make sure that you lube the gasket with oil before spinning it on. Other than that, you are doing the about the same as I do. After changing filters for 35 years, I tighten to the TJAR method (That's Just About Right).

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 03-15-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't think it's a good idea to ask dealer for advice on how tight the filter should be, since they're the ones who make it almost impossible to take it out. I spend good 2 hours or maybe more to loosen up the filter after the first and only dealer oil change, even with filter removal tool. I tighten mine by hand, pretty much to the point when it doesn't want to go anymore and then use the removal tool with wrench to take it out, works every time. Just make sure old filters rubber gasket doesn't get stuck to the metal filter
mount. Once I didn't notice old gasket separated from filter and put the new one on top. As soon as I started the engine and oil pressure build up, there was loud bang, blowing the old gasket out and most of freshly changed oil end up on my driveway. Had to fill up the oil all over again, good thing I heard the noise and shut down the engine within few seconds , before damaging the engine, but the mess from spilled oil didn't clear completely until the storm few days later.

Originally Posted by HyCAMBill
Did the dealer give you any advise on how tight it should be? I have always have done hand tight with previous cars. I tried to do the first oil change and I could not get the first one off! I have had the dealer change all the oil so far. I would like to get back to doing myself again.

Your post is interesting to know!

Bill

Old 03-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

If the cap wrench doesn't work, I usually just spike the filter with a screw driver. It's messy as can be, but it only takes a minute or two for even the tightest filter.

You can use channel locks as well if you have the room, you just need to slightly crush the filter first.

As to how tight, my rule is to wait until you get contact and then another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. I've seen more problems with filters that were over tightened than the reverse.

You could always take the approach that we used on race bikes (not sure if race cars do the same thing). You put the filter on nice loose so it can be removed easily, but then you use safety wire to prevent it from spinning. The same thing can be done with the drain plug.

It adds a minute or two to your oil change, but you can rest easy that nothing is going to happen.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:02 AM

I had that same problem trying to remove the original factory filter on my new 2003 corolla on my first oil change. This TCH was the same way. I bought a brand new cup wrench to use. I went in the kitchen and got one of my wifes rubber grip pad to remove stuck caps on jars. I laid the pad on top of the cup then forced it up over the bottom of the filter. With a struggle and a few slips it finally grabbed. I had tapped the bottom of the cup using a hard rubber hammer.

I have changed the oil on all my cars for many years. I hand snug the new filter up and then do the 1/4 turn more. I never over tighten like toyota does with a wrench. I think that might be to get you to take it to the dealer for the oil change.

I prefer the dealers toyota oil filter. It's a quality filter for about $6. It even had a clear plastic cover you pull off. Its already got some lubricant on the seal so that speeds things up.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cbibbs
If the cap wrench doesn't work, I usually just spike the filter with a screw driver. It's messy as can be, but it only takes a minute or two for even the tightest filter.

You can use channel locks as well if you have the room, you just need to slightly crush the filter first.

As to how tight, my rule is to wait until you get contact and then another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. I've seen more problems with filters that were over tightened than the reverse.

You could always take the approach that we used on race bikes (not sure if race cars do the same thing). You put the filter on nice loose so it can be removed easily, but then you use safety wire to prevent it from spinning. The same thing can be done with the drain plug.

It adds a minute or two to your oil change, but you can rest easy that nothing is going to happen.
THIS... (except for the safety wire)

If you do find yourself needing to go medieval, raise the R/F wheel and remove it. From there a couple of screws will liberate the splash panel and you can approach the filter from the side as you get all stabby. Over-sized Channel locks, even better.

Yep, and wipe some fresh oil on the new gasket

Old 03-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Not to hijiack the thread but how much do you guys figure you save by changing your own oil?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:26 PM

....(I've never done it, but) I imagine it's not only the cost, but a matter of 'knowing that the job was done right'...

Old 03-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Driving in stealth mode

So you let another man touch the "Grey Lady"??? :-P

Quick Reply: Oil filter - Tight!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands