Oil pan crush washers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Question Oil pan crush washers...

What are the oil pan crush washers made of? I will be changing my oil for the first time soon and found a website that had oil pan plugs and crush washers. The washers they listed for the Toyota 12mm plug were actually aluminium. They were 10 cents a piece. Where is a good cheap place to buy these?

Old 03-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Oil pan crush washers...

The ones I use appear to be aluminum. Most autoparts stores carry them (Advanced Auto, Auto Zone and O'Reilly Auto Parts) and cost 10 to 30 cents each. Cheap insurance although I have never seen a leak due to one not being replaced.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
The ones I use appear to be aluminum. Most autoparts stores carry them (Advanced Auto, Auto Zone and O'Reilly Auto Parts) and cost 10 to 30 cents each. Cheap insurance although I have never seen a leak due to one not being replaced.
I have changed my own oil since I started driving and I NEVER replaced one and I never had an oil leak. But like you said, its cheap insurance. I plan to start replacing them with this car.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Enthusiast

I just did my first oil change a few weeks ago and when I removed the plug, no crush washer on the plug. There is a flat flange on the pan that I thought might be a painted on crush washer, but it wouldn't come off. Put the plug back in, no leaks.

Robb

Old 03-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks all, looks like I will see what I find when I change the oil.