Optima Prius 12V battery compatibility with TCH

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Optima Prius 12V battery compatibility with TCH

This has been bandied about some on other threads, but I just wanted to have this thread out there in case anyone else gets an opportunity to replace the 12V and is willing to consider the Optima Prius battery for TCH.

Advantages:

1. The Optima already provides a single vent so hopefully it would be a simple matter of connecting the tube to that vent as opposed to having to mess with resins and such that are compatible with the kinds of gases that the battery in theory might emit.

2. Reduced weight: The Optima Prius battery is 26 lbs while the Optima D34 which is thought to be one of the proper replacements for the TCH weighs in at 42.9 lbs.

3. With the 17 lbs reduction in weight, one should be able to carry along a separate light weight jumper battery without incurring additional weight related penalties. This jumper battery could even be hooked up to a solar charger and such, if the car will be parked for extended periods out in the open.

Disadvantages:

1. Not as capacious as the OEM or the equivalent D34 or D35, but this concern can be mitigated by carrying a light jumper battery that could come of use if and when the 12V goes dead. See item 3 above.

2. ???

Basically, what the above entails is separating out the capacity into a vent-friendly battery and a stand-alone backup jumper that we know stands a greater chance of being there when we need it as opposed to being depleted while being part of the main 12V battery.

Last edited by srivenkat; 01-27-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Optima Prius 12V battery compatibility with TCH

As I posted in the other forum, I'm not convinced about the need for a vent on a non gassing AGM battery. That is the reason you buy an AGM. I would go with the 34M blue top, or as a second choice the D34 yellow top.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast

Spent a lot of time researching 12-volt batteries for my 2011 Camry Hybrid.
Finally found one that fits and has a 5-year warranty. (By the way, I had contacted Optima and their techs said none of theirs would work for 2007-2011 Camry Hybrids.)

One of the last places I would have thought would have this battery - Batteries Plus. If you go online, you'll see it's an X2 Power Battery #SLI35AGMDP. As of this writing, it sells online for $299, but they have an ongoing 10% off when you order, and they'll install it as well. Sometimes there's a $20 coupon you can use as well.

Sure beats the $550 the dealership wants, huh?!

Old 09-26-2017, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

I got the yellow top for mine and have been quite happy with it. As for an emergency jump starter, I just keep a small lithium jumper in the car. Weighs less than a pound and don't have to worry about damaging my main battery when someone else needs a jump start.

Something like this
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-26-2017, 10:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The Prius battery is a low current battery and has a 4.2A charge limit. I wouldn't consider using it in a Camry without knowing for sure that the Camry won't over charge it.

Personally, I think Optima is junk. They aren't the premium battery they used to be. I'll take a Yuasa made Toyota Prius battery (for a Prius) for $239 with an 84 month warranty (2 year replace + 5 year prorated) over anything else out there. Johnson Controls makes Optima - like every other crappy Walmart or cheap store brand battery.

I personally had a "non-venting AGM" Optima yellow top do exactly that in my Prius. Strange smell and this high pitch electronic sound like a failing capacitor. Thought maybe my cooling fan was going out. Turns out the "non-venting AGM" battery had blown the vent tube off and was pissing all over the fender wall. The high pitch sound was the venting. The stink was sulfur. The battery was so hot, I couldn't touch any part of it except the strap.

Replaced with Toyota. Done.