P0A80-- Replace Hybrid Battery Pack

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: P0A80-- Replace Hybrid Battery Pack

Originally Posted by lincolnshibuya
I'm scared of that dealership, been with those.

So he's saying that these companies are not worth it?
http://greentechybrids.com/hybrid-batteries/toyota
He says that the batteries are iffy. I haven't ordered the exhorbitant one. I am leaning towards your site. I am wondering if most mechanics can install those batteries. My hunch is that the guy who is trying to persuade me to spend 5k won't be interested in installing a battery that is refurbished.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Charging the hybrid battery (traction battery)
As the gasoline engine charges the hybrid battery (traction battery), the battery
does not need to be charged from an outside source. However, if the
vehicle is left parked for a long time the hybrid battery (traction battery) will
slowly discharge. For this reason, be sure to drive the vehicle at least once
every few months for at least 30 minutes or 10 miles (16 km). If the hybrid
battery (traction battery) becomes fully discharged and you are unable to start
the hybrid system, contact your Toyota dealer.

2016 Camry Hybrid user manual.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast

Hi all..
Is there a way to only change a block of the HV battery?? I have P3018 with description "battery block 8 becomes weak". Do i have to replace the whole battery pack or only that block can be replaced. Since "weak" does not usually mean "not working". Maybe clean it or something? Btw it is 07 TCH with only 127k miles.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:13 PM

Yes, but it's analogous to having 4 BALD tires, one goes pop, and then you put a used tire on. It's just a matter of time.

Now imagine having 34 bald tires and replacing the one that popped with a used one...

Once you've pulled a pack, torn it down, replaced the failed module, reassembled and re-installed - you'll likely not want to keep doing it every 3-6 months.

It's basically a game of whack-a-mole.

In RARE cases, it can be due to corrosion of the bus bars, but unless you're in a hot coastal environment, that's highly unlikely. Even if you are, it's still very unlikely.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:43 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Yes, but it's analogous to having 4 BALD tires, one goes pop, and then you put a used tire on. It's just a matter of time.

Now imagine having 34 bald tires and replacing the one that popped with a used one...

Once you've pulled a pack, torn it down, replaced the failed module, reassembled and re-installed - you'll likely not want to keep doing it every 3-6 months.

It's basically a game of whack-a-mole.

In RARE cases, it can be due to corrosion of the bus bars, but unless you're in a hot coastal environment, that's highly unlikely. Even if you are, it's still very unlikely.
thank you for the advice, i will just replace the bad cell or block and try to look for selling the car.. it was a great car and i really enjoyed having it but these problems can come up again anytime. I took it to a friend of mine who has replaced bad modules and he said they will work and the cost for the new battery pack was alot higher than just replacing the bad module for 100$+the work.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:02 PM

The difference is a fix that lasts a few months vs. a fix that will get you another 100K+

Hybrid batteries are consumables - just like tires. It's not if they fail, it's when.

So, now you want to sell a problem (you're not selling a car, you're selling a problem). At least be honest when you try to sell the car - give them a fair price and let them know that it's had a module replaced. Otherwise, you're a lying sack of ****. Don't be a lying sack of ****. Be honest with yourself, and your buyer - you're selling a car that needs a $4,500 repair.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:11 PM
Enthusiast

The difference is a fix that lasts a few months vs. a fix that will get you another 100K+

Hybrid batteries are consumables - just like tires. It's not if they fail, it's when.

So, now you want to sell a problem (you're not selling a car, you're selling a problem). At least be honest when you try to sell the car - give them a fair price and let them know that it's had a module replaced. Otherwise, you're a lying sack of ****. Don't be a lying sack of ****. Be honest with yourself, and your buyer - you're selling a car that needs a $4,500 repair.
Well the thing is that i bought it without being told that the battery would go bad in just about 5 months. Bought it for 6.5k and going to sell it at the same price. Brother i live in Afghanistan. I dont even know how the hybrid even got here. There is about 20-30 of them here with specific dealers that can even open the battery pack since they have done labor in middle east.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:20 PM

The person that sold it to you may or may not have had any knowledge the battery would go bad. You will find out when you get in the battery pack. It's obvious if modules have been replaced. IF there is no evidence of replacement, then they couldn't have known it was going to fail.

I am not your brother. No brother of mine would be dishonest like you.

You made a mistake. You overpaid for a car you knew nothing about, and you're gonna pass it right onto the next guy KNOWING it has a big problem. You are indeed a sack of ****. You know what is right and wrong here (or at least you should), and you're going to use some bullsh1t excuse to lie and cheat someone else.

I hope you get what you deserve.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast

The person that sold it to you may or may not have had any knowledge the battery would go bad. You will find out when you get in the battery pack. It's obvious if modules have been replaced. IF there is no evidence of replacement, then they couldn't have known it was going to fail.

I am not your brother. No brother of mine would be dishonest like you.

You made a mistake. You overpaid for a car you knew nothing about, and you're gonna pass it right onto the next guy KNOWING it has a big problem. You are indeed a sack of ****. You know what is right and wrong here (or at least you should), and you're going to use some bullsh1t excuse to lie and cheat someone else.

I hope you get what you deserve.
i never said that i would not tell the person that this car had these problems. The thing is that a friend of mine is ready to buy it after i replace the module and he knows the problems and everything. The car is in a good overall except the battery and he said he would change the whole battery pack if he needs to after the module has gone wrong again. I knew about this car before buying it but i didnt know the battery would turn out to be this bad in a short period of time.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast

Hey guys how do I tell if my contactor is bad? The orange cable coming from the battery to the contactor is showing 259 volts. But the contactor to the inverter is showing no power