plasmacluster

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default plasmacluster

my TCH has plasmacluster when does this operate and can this be operated manually?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Driving in stealth mode
Default Re: plasmacluster

If you're talking about the "air freshener" there's no control for it.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It is on whenever you have the climate controls on. It is located within the driver-side vent airway.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Thanks for correcting me there. I forgot to mention that part. I was curious about that when I first got mine. I am kind of becoming addicted to finding out how everything operates on this vehicle now.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Cool Re: plasmacluster

Originally Posted by coolshock1
Thanks for correcting me there. I forgot to mention that part. I was curious about that when I first got mine. I am kind of becoming addicted to finding out how everything operates on this vehicle now.
And I pray I did not give misinformation ... as my mind fails I need to start adding qualifiers like "I think."

Old 08-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast

how come i dont hear noises when it works anymore?
before i used to hear sounds that it works i hear static sounds when its operating...
and how do you know if your plasmacluster is broke?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:07 AM
Pragmatist

I haven't looked at this particular ion generator, but I am familiar with other ion generators. They have been used as air cleaners for many years. An ion generator consists of charged pieces of metal that emit electrons (ions) into the passing air stream. The charge makes the dust particles stick to other surfaces, and so "cleans" the air. Some ion generator products have built-in filters that are positively charged, to collect the particles. They have been used as "smoke eaters" in bars, and as air purifiers in homes, for many years.

Ion generators don't make noise when they are operating properly. Sometimes the space between the + and - electrical plates in an ion generator can accumulate debris, and then it can short and make sparking noises, but that happens only when it is dirty. Cleaning makes the noise go away. There is nothing to break -- no moving parts at all.

The think I don't like about them is that they emit ozone. The charge causes the O2 molecules in the air to separate and make ozone. The ozone damages skin and upholstry, and other products, by a process called oxidation. Over a long period of time, and in high concentration, it can negatively affect your health. Because the generator in this car is very small, I don't think it can put out very much charge, and it can't make much ozone. Then, because of the high rate of ventilation, even that little bit gets flushed out of the cabin very quickly. So I don't think it is likely to have any health effects.

Last edited by SteveHansen; 08-07-2008 at 05:13 AM. Reason: add information
Old 08-07-2008, 05:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveHansen

...The charge causes the O2 molecules in the air to separate and make ozone...
Ozone is actually O3 (3 oxygen molecules)...

Old 08-07-2008, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by BOFH
Ozone is actually O3 (3 oxygen molecules)...
Correct, but it is the stable O2 configuration of "naturally" occuring oxygen that is first broken down, in order to produce the O3 molecules.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:17 AM
SPL

Sharp (the manufacturer) claims that their Plasmacluster device produces no ozone. An electrically neutral mixture of particles is emitted.

Stan

Quick Reply: plasmacluster

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands