Please HELP! Radio/Navi Look-a-like - which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Please HELP! Radio/Navi Look-a-like - which one?

I am purchasing TCH with UP package - (Blue tooth, Audio, wheels, etc., no navigation and no moon roof). My goal was to get custom leather, navigation and backup camera.

Dealer gladly installed everything custom for me and said that they cannot install factory navigation unit that comes with fully loaded Camry's (made by Eclipse) and they have to use Radio/Navi look-a-like (fits perfectly into dashboard) - an aftermarket unit.

The unit they installed comes from http://oeradio.com/ - model TY-6100. It is not bad over all but:
  • The unit they installed doesn't work with bluetooth/phone buttons on the steering wheel. It means that in order to make a call or even pick-up I have to use the touch screen on the dashboard. Which is as you can imagine could be dangerous while driving (huge deal);
  • It doesn't have the CD changer - just single disk (not a big deal);
My questions are:
  1. What aftermarket look-a-like unit do you use for your Camry. Do you know of any?
  2. Do you have any other recommendations for me? I am trying to replace audio/radio unit that came with my Camry and package UP (no navi) with navigation/audio system;
Thank you for your help!

Gene.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Please HELP! Radio/Navi Look-a-like - which one?

Originally Posted by gfichten
Dealer gladly installed everything custom for me and said that they cannot install factory navigation unit that comes with fully loaded Camry's (made by Eclipse) and they have to use Radio/Navi look-a-like (fits perfectly into dashboard) - an aftermarket unit.
In Canada for the 2007 models you could not get factory Nav, not sure if it is still the case.

But they offered a dealer installed option which we Canadian thought was the factory Nav installed by the dealer. It turned out that what we got was the Nav system for a Camry XLE. It looks and works the same as the Hybrid Nav but is missing the energy screens. A major rip-off as far we are concerned and Toyota seems completely unconcerned. Anyway that's our problem.

It seems that if you are willing to have installed an after market system that will also be missing a number of features that come with the Hybrid Nav, why not ask the dealer if they can install a Nav system intended for an XLE.

Just a thought.

Cheers
Steve

Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

If your goal is to get Navigation, why not buy a car with it factory installed?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Enthusiast

My goal was to get custom leather, navigation and backup camera.

Not only navigation. I didn't like the leather Toyota installs in Camry's and since I could really trade moon-roof for back-up camera - I went for it. Especially since dealer promised me that this will work fine.