View Poll Results: Please read first post before answering
I'd make the trip in the TCH, but not the Suburban
25.93%
I'd make the trip no matter which car I had
14.81%
I'd wait to make the trip until I had other reasons to be near the store (combine trips)
40.74%
Other answer, explained below
18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - Paradox of efficiency

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Poll - Paradox of efficiency

For this question, please assume gas were $4.50.
In addition, consider two separate situations, one is that you own a Suburban averaging 15 MPG. The other is that you own a TCH averaging 40 MPG.
Further, assume it is a non-essential trip, for example, you could delay the trip to a store by a week or two.
The basic question in the poll is....
Would you make the trip if you only owned the TCH (a wasteful trip) but not the Suburban, (in effect, waiting to combine trips).
Please be honest.
I believe people drive more often and further if they "think" that they are saving money and fuel by driving a fuel efficient car, when in fact, they are doing the opposite.
Thanks!

Last edited by haroldo; 07-03-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:25 AM
Default Re: Poll - Paradox of efficiency

I voted that I would take the TCH, but not the suburban.

Last edited by haroldo; 07-02-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:27 AM

removing my question - I see it is answered in another thread. Would have been useful to have all the details in the same thread as the poll.

As to my response now: I chose other, because my way of thinking doesn't appear to be reflected in the choices.

a. I would typically wait unitl I had other reasons to be near the store, regardless of the vehicle I would drive...
b. Unless the one item was something that I really, really wanted and couldn't stand waiting (even if the item was "non-essential" - my wife and I would have different definitions of that term)...
c. Then I would have no problem taking the Suburban if that's all I had to drive...
d. But I would always take the TCH if I had one - for any trip, not just the store, because I always want to save on gas when I can. Why would I ever drive a Suburban in that case?...
e. Unless I was after something big that wouldn't fit in the TCH, but would in the Suburban, in which case I'd take it (and just feel bad about spending the money on the gas)

Sorry - but it's just not that black and white to me. I don't drive any more now than I ever used to before I got the TCH, nor do I drive any less. I just save a lot more money than I would if I were driving something else.

Last edited by rmorrow; 07-02-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:46 AM

adding my question again, since you removed the details from the other thread. How far is the store, and what am I buying - a week's worth of groceries or a single item? (I know you said a single item in the other thread - but that detail is important here)

Old 07-02-2009, 05:59 AM

It's hard to set up a sophisticated poll in this format, so rather than try, I'm simply trying to prove a point that I've suspected for a while.
That is, do people drive more if they think that they are saving fuel.
Sure, most people will say, "...no way, not me! I'd never do that!...", but presented in the form of a simple question, that being, are you more likely to make a 10 minute drive to a store for a non-essential trip in a fuel efficient car than you would be in a gas guzzler I believe the answers would contradict that response.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by rmorrow
...a. I would typically wait unitl I had other reasons to be near the store, regardless of the vehicle I would drive....
Would the answer be different if gas were $1.75/gallon? How about $0.75/gallon?

Old 07-02-2009, 07:42 AM

A true poll wouldn't prejudice the answer...

Old 07-02-2009, 08:10 AM

...tis not a true poll, but rather just trying to prod members to discuss the issue. The poll set up allows a graphical presentation of the discussion, rather than having to read through many posts to see how people think.
I'm not expecting anything earth shattering to be revealed, since I think it's basic human nature (and economics 101) that when the cost of utilization goes down, consumption goes up. It's no different than 'all you can eat buffets' or 'unlimited text messaging' plans.
You pay more, you use less....you pay less, you use more.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:44 PM

I don't buy this argument that people drive more with more efficient car, at least not in any meaningful way. I drive when I have to, or when I want to regardless, until I would run out of money and couldn't afford it anymore. I think the opposite is true, people with efficient car will think more how to make it even more efficient either by driving less, combining the trips or using more efficient driving style.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well rather than answer the poll I'll just give a direct answer to your underlying question. I typically drive 40K - 50K miles per year. This has been consistent since about 1980. Now I bought my TCH last October and today I had the 30K miles service done. So that's 30000 miles in about 9 months or 10K / Quarter. This comes out to 40K miles per year which is exactly average - maybe a little on the low side - for me. Of course YMMV (pun intended ).

Quick Reply: Poll - Paradox of efficiency

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands