portable GPS does not work in my TCH

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast
Question portable GPS does not work in my TCH

I got my TCH last month, the only problem i am running into is my portable GPS does not work in the car. I tried two different models Garmin Quest 2 and HP iPAQ 6950. Garmin Quest 2 does not work at all. The iPAQ pick up the reception for a few seconds and drops it. I mounted it with a PDA Caddy right on the center vent on the dash, so both GPS have a clear view of the sky.

When i called the dealership they told me you should not use off the market GPS in your car it may reset all the codes in the car and you may run into all sorts of problems (they may be mixing thinking i am trying to install a GPS instead of using a portable one). Can anyone help me if they had any issues similar to this one and how they resolve this problem. I am planning to install a re-radiating GPS antenna since my iPAQ does not have a external antenna hookup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:37 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: portable GPS does not work in my TCH

my1stHybrid - I've been using an Alpine "Blackbird" portable GPS system in my TCH for some months now, and it generally seems to receive the satellites (up to as many as 12) successfully through the windshield. I've placed mine in what sounds like the same location as yours - at the center top of the dash, right by the air vent housing. I don't find any need to install an external antenna, although the Blackbird can accept one.

Stan

Old 01-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Malcontent

I remember reading about this problem in the past. You could probably find the discussion if you did a search.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No idea what would cause the problems in your case, some sort of interference, maybe ionizer? But ionizer should be mounted inside driver's vent? I use mine daily to track data that build in Nav won't have, like speed, altitude or save tracks and I have no problems whatsoever. I keep my Meridian in the center console cup holder, next to the shifter and everything works. I'm not sure if you're very familiar with GPS operations but sometimes there is a change in Sat configuration (for example clock goes bad) and it takes few minutes to upload new data to GPS, depending on the software the sat screen (the one showing position of all birds in sky) can go blank since previous data is not valid anymore. But I would imagine GPS worked outside the car in your case and stopped when brought into the car so interference would be main suspect here. I would also imagine you did check different locations, away from lock system transmitters and power button? Since it works in my car maybe your car has more electrical interference? Dealer as usual has no clue and is confused.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks to all of you. I am borrowing an external antenna from a friend to give it a try and i will also try a different location in the car too. I will keep you guys posted. Squint if you come accross that issue please post the link here. I was not able to find it.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

As I said in a previous reply, I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 that Santa brought me this past Xmas. I was concerned because I heard that tinted windows and the pattern surrounding the rear view mirror might block the sat signals. No Problems there. The unit set up perfectly and is accurate to within TEN FEET with very fast response. I am very pleased with my GPS and a Garmin should work for you too. I can't imagine that any radiation emitted could be strong enough to interfere with your car's onboard systems, so I think the dealer is pulling your leg. I use the standard windshield mount dead center on the glass. No fancy spots others have tried. It works well with dc charger or build in battery. I put it in my pocket when leaving the car. Why risk a broken window and a stolen Garmin. I don't think much of "repeater" antennas. They're like mouse milk.(not enough there to do much good)

Old 01-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

FYI: I have a Garmin C530 (with SIRF) and I have it mounted in the cup holder (see my thread about the Peanut Butter Jar Mount). So this is quite a distance from the windscreen and it works fine.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:51 PM
it's just a car...

Originally Posted by abward
FYI: I have a Garmin C530 (with SIRF) and I have it mounted in the cup holder (see my thread about the Peanut Butter Jar Mount). So this is quite a distance from the windscreen and it works fine.
Link?

Old 01-12-2007, 05:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Link: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...9&postcount=12

Old 01-12-2007, 05:50 AM
old fart

I have a garmin 2720 and it will not work in the camry due to construction of the windshield,garmin sent me another before i found about the windshield and it also did not work.I purchased a garmin outdoor antenna from circuit city and no more problems found out about it in faqs in garmin.comi

Quick Reply: portable GPS does not work in my TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands