Problem filling up at gas station

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Problem filling up at gas station

Anyone else notice this? The nozzle shuts off after getting less than a tenth of a gallon. I've noticed it on the "Elephant Trunk" type vapor recovery nozzles, because that's the only ones we've used in the last few months. I only have to fill up once a month, we don't drive a lot.

But it turns a trip for gas into real pain in the butt.

Anyone else seen this?
Scott

Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Problem filling up at gas station

nope.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've never had this happen in over 6 years with my TCH, with or without the "elephant trunk".

Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't think this has happened on my TCH, it does happen on my Dakota, so I just readjust the angle I have the nozzle inserted.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Believe me, I've tried every angle an position possible. My work truck has a utility body that requires a different angle/position for every pump I use. I'm familiar with the problem, I've been playing with the nozzles for my truck the last 5 years.

Scott

Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 PM
HSD Organic Interface

The Camry has some kind of pressurized vapour control system. This is the purpose of the electric refuel button, it's supposed to release the control to allow for refueling. The manual warns if you don't fill up within a certain amount of time it will reseal itself, causing a fueling attempt to be very difficult if not impossible. Perhaps yours is not opening up all the way causing what you are experiencing.

I personally have never had trouble fueling...

Old 08-07-2016, 02:38 PM
700 Mi Camry Club Member

I have a faulty electric refuel button. I have to go into the trunk to pull the gas tank lever open. Not surprisingly...I cannot refuel my tank without the pump clicking off every 3 to 5 seconds. Therefore...I agree with the electric refuel button and the pressurized vapour control system. My electric refuel button inside the car does nothing when I push it. Its driving me nuts! Takes me forever to refuel. I see there may be a solenoid in the trunk right behind the fuel tank door area that I may need to replace to get the electric refuel button working again. Any agree or do we have any suggestions? Again my problem is the refuel button does not work when I push it...and I cannot fill my tank without the pump clicking off every 3 to 5 seconds. I believe in my little brain...these two problems are connected.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

bugs,

You will need to check that circuit to find out where the problem is. Start at the solenoid to see if it gets power when the button is pushed. If it doesn't have power, move to the relay and then to the button itself. Shouldn't take too long to isolate the problem.

It might be a bad spring but you can usually hear something trying to work if that is the case.

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 08-08-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bugs
I have a faulty electric refuel button. I have to go into the trunk to pull the gas tank lever open...
The spring needs to be replaced. I did it on my Avalon....took ten seconds.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:59 PM
700 Mi Camry Club Member

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
bugs,

You will need to check that circuit to find out where the problem is. Start at the solenoid to see if it gets power when the button is pushed. If it doesn't have power, move to the relay and then to the button itself. Shouldn't take too long to isolate the problem.

It might be a bad spring but you can usually hear something trying to work if that is the case.
Solid advice...will check the solenoid...relay...and Haroldo says as well check the spring. Will check back in when I find out what it is. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Problem filling up at gas station

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands