Puny seat heaters: Any help from friends in northern climes ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Puny seat heaters: Any help from friends in northern climes ?

I repaired and drive an 07 TCH which has leather and seat heaters, and own an 09 with cloth and no seat heaters. I'm in Canada, now in Vancouver, and from Winnipeg, home of the block heater.
My experience has been that leather seats have more thermal mass to the covers, and will feel "cold" longer than their cloth counterparts, I recognise you're comparing Cadillac to Camry, both leather, but all seat heaters in my experience use a thermostat to modulate the temerature. It's a function of the thermostat, and it's location on the pad. Some aftermarket heaters may heat longer, but you may have a time of coupling with the OEM switches. I imagine a swap of heating pads may satisfy your wife's behind, check with your local car upholstry shops..
Regards,
Roy

Old 03-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tsaroy
....... all seat heaters in my experience use a thermostat to modulate the temerature. It's a function of the thermostat, and it's location on the pad.....
Regards,
Roy
Roy,

Thanks very much for this good information and insight; especially the bit about the location.

I may open up a seat upholstery and investigate whether the thermostat is too close to the heating element.

(After I get one of those little round things !)

Jack

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 03-01-2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo, completeness
Old 03-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Our '09 TCH's heated seats were just right during this brutal winter season in SE PA.

You wanna talk about weak Toyota seat heaters - the ones in our '04 Sienna XLE LTD were totally USELESS. This was a definite flaw - many people complained about it on the Sienna message boards.