Question on phone selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Question on phone selection

I am going to be getting a new phone soon to replace my current one. I am looking on the toyota let's talk site, and have identified a phone. The one thing I have a question about is that the specifications state that the handset will not place calls through the handsfree system. Does this mean that I would have to pickup the phone and dial a number? I also see that it doesn't transfer phonebook entries. The phone that I am potentially looking at is the Motokrzr k1m. Why is it that a new phone such as that one is not fully compatible with the camry bluetooth system? While I can go to the toyota lets talk site and click through all the phones, I wanted to find out if there are any recommendations for a phone that is fully compatible with the camry bluetooth system.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Question on phone selection

I've loved my Sanyo Katana since the day I got it, and it's worked flawlessly with the TCH. There have been other happy Katana users on here who have reported similar satisfaction. The phone gets great reception, all transfer functions work perfectly every time, and the battery life is good for this type of phone. Sanyo has a great reputation for quality. Do a site search for my original post from when I got this phone, and do a search for "phone" in general to read about other people's levels of satisfaction with other brands. I had a prior so-called Bluetooth phone that would do nothing right. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Question on phone selection

Prior to posting my message, I actually did a search in just the TCH forum for 'phone' and what I found were a lot of posts about the Sanyo Katana. It certainly seems like that is a good phone. Based on the reply to my original message, I did a search in the general forum for 'phone' but the results found everything but what I was looking for. After looking through several pages in the general forum, I didn't find anything relevent. If possible, I would like to learn more about the Motokrzr phone because in the features table, it indicates that the phone can't make calls through the handsfree system. If I hold the mouse over that entry, there is a comment that says the handsfree system can't place a call immediately after the first call ends. This would seem to be conflicting information. I'm not sure how I like the Sanyon phone compared to the motorola phone. Is there anyone that can help me out?

Old 04-24-2007, 03:56 AM
Technologist

I have a Razr, not a Krzr, and Bluetooth works great. I would expect Motorola to provide similar, if not identical, Bluetooth features on these 2 models. I don't store that many numbers, so I typically use the Dial By Number method, which works well. The only thing I have a problem with is selecting numeric response options such as dialing extensions, or providing a PIN. I end up picking up the phone and punching those in. I haven't tried pressing the Talk button and saying them. Does that work?

Old 04-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Steven, how is the Katana w/ TCH handsfree when talking to someone on the other end using handsfree (headset, another car-based handsfree, etc)?

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
I've loved my Sanyo Katana since the day I got it, and it's worked flawlessly with the TCH. There have been other happy Katana users on here who have reported similar satisfaction. The phone gets great reception, all transfer functions work perfectly every time, and the battery life is good for this type of phone. Sanyo has a great reputation for quality. Do a site search for my original post from when I got this phone, and do a search for "phone" in general to read about other people's levels of satisfaction with other brands. I had a prior so-called Bluetooth phone that would do nothing right. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2007, 05:39 PM

As far as I know, the quality of the TCH's handsfree sound has little to do with the mobile phone being used. I have some issues at times with the TCH's handsfree sound, but think that the Sanyo Katana is doing its job perfectly. There are some posts on here regarding how to tweak/adjust the TCH's handsfree sound quality, but I haven't had time to try any of those suggestions.

For me, the quality seems very good, and I have had few complaints from listeners on the other end. It may depend on other factors, too, such as background noise from A/C, road noise, your voice's unique qualities, etc. Oh, and of course you have to be oriented toward the microphone.

In general the Katana has much better reception, fewer dropped calls, etc., than did the Samsung piece-of-caca that I first tried with Bluetooth.

Hope that indirect answer may help!

Old 04-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ntguru
Steven, how is the Katana w/ TCH handsfree when talking to someone on the other end using handsfree (headset, another car-based handsfree, etc)?
A few months back, I got a Katana (Sprint) based on Steve Villatoro's recommendations. It works well with my TCH. I have not had any problems or complaints. Steve's recommendation was 'right on'!

Thanks Steve...

Old 04-29-2007, 09:19 PM

Welcome! Glad to know you're happy with it.