Question on refilling inverter coolant without tool

Old 11-04-2013, 11:48 AM
cbd
Enthusiast
Default Question on refilling and 'burping' inverter coolant. Scan tool absolutely required?

I have an 07 TCH and the water pump went out. I'm still in the process of replacing the pump, but I have already drained the coolant from the inverter and radiator per GeorgiaHybrid's instructions.
My concerns are with refilling the inverter and getting all the air pockets out... Can this safely be done without the scan tool? Or could I possibly fill it up, then drive 10 miles to the dealer and get it bled properly without damaging the system? I appreciate any help.

Last edited by cbd; 11-04-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Professor Emeritus
Default Re: Question on refilling inverter coolant without tool

No way man! You have got to run that pump and prime the system before turning the car on.

That is a very risky maneuver! I'm not sure what an inverter would run.... But, I'm sure it is over $2000 from the dealer plus installation, plus, plus, plus....

If you did burn it up, you might be able to buy a salvage one and have some local place install it.... But, why? For the cost of all of the above you could have easily have bought a scan tool or just taken it to the dealer for a measly charge by comparison.

You need to "re-think" this.

EDIT: I had my car in for alignment last year and I believe they only charged around $100 to change it. That included coolant, time, shop supplies, blah, blah, blah.... I'll see if I can find the ticket!

EDIT AGAIN: Found the ticket... Inverter coolant change was $106 at my local dealer.

Last edited by litespeed; 11-04-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

cbd,

If you know a local tech with a Snap-on scan tool or a Toyota Tech Stream, he should be able to run by and do it for you for a small charge. If he has a Snap-on unit, just have him follow the instructions. Did you measure the amount of coolant you removed?

The reason I am asking is that if you did, and the tank was full to the mark when you started, you could try to add that much back to the inverter cooling system. Sometimes they will gravity bleed but not very often....

All in all, if a young tech has or can borrow the scanner from work, he might charge you $30 or $40 at your house to run the pump. Just keep in mind those scanners run from $5,000 to $9,000 to buy and they need to make a little to pay for them....

Old 11-04-2013, 07:15 PM
cbd
Enthusiast

Thank you both for responding! I will definitely make sure it's done right. And yes, I did measure the amount I removed.
Big thanks!