quick question from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default quick question from a newbie

Hi all..
I will search before asking too much but one thing I wanted to ask is how many of you actually figure your gas mileage on paper and compare it to your dash? Reason I ask is I currently have a VW Jetta TDI, and subscribe to all the forums and most people think the dash is right on and in the Jetta they are usually 5-7 mpg over actual so am wondering if the mileage people are reporting here is real or displayed or both?
Have been contemplating the Camry or Prius, and leaning heavily toward the Camry but the EPA seems a bit low but it appears most of you here are getting much more..We drive 60 miles round trip to work so need good mileage..3/4 of that is highway..
Oh..How are they with passing power? Most of my drive is two lane highway and sometimes need to pass a big truck or tractor, do they pass pretty well?

Thanks millions!
John

Old 07-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: quick question from a newbie

The displayed mileage and the calcualted mileage are usually off by 1 to 2 MPG (shows high in the TCH) but it's a good ballpark.

Camry vs. Prius is all about what YOU need. Drive both before choosing one. If you're in CA (or other lucky state), also consider the Nissan Altima.

Camry has plenty of pep. It won't win races, but we passed many a slowpoke on our recent 3000 mile trip. It's passing power will not let you down.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freeze
The displayed mileage and the calcualted mileage are usually off by 1 to 2 MPG (shows high in the TCH) but it's a good ballpark.

Camry vs. Prius is all about what YOU need. Drive both before choosing one. If you're in CA (or other lucky state), also consider the Nissan Altima.

Camry has plenty of pep. It won't win races, but we passed many a slowpoke on our recent 3000 mile trip. It's passing power will not let you down.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I saw that Altima but not available here in Texas..Sucks too as I worked for Nissan for three years and gained pretty good respect for the Altima..
Yeah plan to drive em both. I really don't like the looks of the prius much, but it may fit my needs..Gonna try really hard to fit the Camry into my needs tho!
Thanks for letting me know about the MPG..That is how it should be, not like the VW..
Thanks so much!
John

Old 07-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonjonbear
Hi all..

Oh..How are they with passing power? Most of my drive is two lane highway and sometimes need to pass a big truck or tractor, do they pass pretty well?

Thanks millions!
John
I moved from a '96 Grand Am (V6) to the '07 TCH. Power seems about the same. One thing -- the acceleration with the TCH is deceptive.

Since the transmission does not "kick down" like in a normal automatic, you get a very smooth acceleration. Here is where the "deception" comes into play, with the constant and smooth acceleration, you QUICKLY find yourself going faster than you think you are. In a two-lane 50 mph road passing maneuver, that's not too bad, but it is surprising to look down and see I'm hitting 75 and still accelerating strongly when I pull back in after scooting around a slower car/SUV/truck.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:45 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JHSmith
I moved from a '96 Grand Am (V6) to the '07 TCH. Power seems about the same. One thing -- the acceleration with the TCH is deceptive.

Since the transmission does not "kick down" like in a normal automatic, you get a very smooth acceleration. Here is where the "deception" comes into play, with the constant and smooth acceleration, you QUICKLY find yourself going faster than you think you are. In a two-lane 50 mph road passing maneuver, that's not too bad, but it is surprising to look down and see I'm hitting 75 and still accelerating strongly when I pull back in after scooting around a slower car/SUV/truck.
Wow John that is quite an upgrade!
I haven't yet driven a car with CVT but sure looking forward to it..
Are a lot of these cars having NAV installed at the dealer? I have been doing the "build your own" on the Toyota website and not one has nav. I am wondering if the dealers are ordering them this way and putting them in upon request?
We saw a TCH in the parking garage at work yesterday so were able to goggle up close..Looked really nice inside. I see it has a regular transmission selector instead of the joystick thingie that the Prius has..I love the new body style over the last one..

Thanks so much!
John

Old 08-01-2007, 06:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Around here most TCH's (I'd guess 90% or maybe more) arrive with NAV, leather, sunroof, and usually a few other small options. They seem to be coming that way from Japan.

Last edited by talmy; 08-01-2007 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Lord of Time and Space

My TCH, so far, is tracking about 1.5 MPG higher than my fills. Only have a couple of fills, though, so YMMVG.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by talmy
Around here most TCH's (I'd guess 90% or maybe more) arrive with NAV, leather, sunroof, and usually a few other small options. They seem to be coming that way from Japan.
Hmmm..Interesting..I guess down here in the GST region they order them differently. I have gone through all the Austin inventory online and so far have found none with the nav. They do like to put those extra mile packages on them..I don't think you all get those, they are packages of all that dumb stuff that they throw in to jack up the price..I guess I will just need to go and talk to them and see what they say..
Thanks so much,
John
PS aren't the Camry's made in Kentucky? I thought I had read that somewhere..

Old 08-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevil
My TCH, so far, is tracking about 1.5 MPG higher than my fills. Only have a couple of fills, though, so YMMVG.
That's totally acceptable, and every car I have had with a mileage computer was about that (even my 1984 Lincoln) but VW can't seem to get it right on the Jetta so everyone is running around thinking they are getting 50mpg..I have been doing my mileage on paper since ours was new and it has been consistently 5-7 mpg over. I guess now the modders who have the vag com computer can alter the settings to help fix it but the dealer won't do it for those of us who don't have the computer

Good to hear tho that good ole Toyota has it right!

John

Old 08-01-2007, 08:55 AM
HypoFueler

if you decide you want hi hwy FE and dont want to pass as much as you used to, you should consider a prius or even an HCH2. these two are not big on passing power but can and do get above 50mpg (both indicated and on paper).

Quick Reply: quick question from a newbie

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands