Radio temporarily possessed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Radio temporarily possessed!

Hi, I think I need an exorcist to perform a special ceremony for my JBL 6 disc radio/CD changer. I've had my TCH just over a year and haven't had any radio problems up until today.

This morning I went out and started my car. When I tried to turn on the radio by pressing the power ****, the radio display flashed and ejected a CD. Hmmm, I pressed power again, and again, it ejected another CD. Then I tried to play a CD by pressing the CD button and the display showed garbled squares of the LCD display and ejected another CD. The radio proceeded to eject the rest of my CDs one by one every time I pressed the power button. It would not let me load any CDs and no functions of the radio worked whatsoever. After I got to my destination, I turned off the car and restarted it and then my radio seemed back to normal.

Anyone else have this problem!?

And I thought I was free of electronic demons after getting rid of my BMW...

Old 09-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Radio temporarily possessed!

Try pulling the fuse for the radio for a few seconds, and replace and try the radio. The fuse is #15 on the engine fuse box. I have read that others have reset their radios by pulling the fuse to fix odd radio/cd problems.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Newbie and lovin' it!

I had the same thing happen! Exactly. After all CD's ejected, no matter what button I touched on the head unit, it powered down. I could control it from the steering wheel, (volume, etc.) but the screen was either black or complete gibberish......my service guy said it sounded to him like I "had a glitch in the system." NO SH**!

Old 09-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

Hi, haven't had this problem with our new TCH, but I have a 2003 (gas-hogging, nonhybrid) Highlander with a 6CD changer.

After a while, some of the frequently-used buttons started sticking in. In my case, it's AM and FM. If one of these buttons is stuck, the radio will stubbornly refuse to do anything I ask it to. The first time, it took me quite a while to figure out. The buttons on our 2007 TCH radio/CD are different from the Highlander, and I don't know whether the same thing can happen. Thought I would mention it.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Lord of Time and Space

Had the exact same thing happen. Dealer replaced it, no questions asked. No problems since then, but had so many other little issues with the car that the dealership replaced it with an '08.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBlue
Hi, I think I need an exorcist to perform a special ceremony for my JBL 6 disc radio/CD changer. I've had my TCH just over a year and haven't had any radio problems up until today.

This morning I went out and started my car. When I tried to turn on the radio by pressing the power ****, the radio display flashed and ejected a CD. Hmmm, I pressed power again, and again, it ejected another CD. Then I tried to play a CD by pressing the CD button and the display showed garbled squares of the LCD display and ejected another CD. The radio proceeded to eject the rest of my CDs one by one every time I pressed the power button. It would not let me load any CDs and no functions of the radio worked whatsoever. After I got to my destination, I turned off the car and restarted it and then my radio seemed back to normal.

Anyone else have this problem!?

And I thought I was free of electronic demons after getting rid of my BMW...
Sorry for resurrecting this one year old thread..

The same thing happened to me today. My radio has been acting up for the past 3 weeks now. Mainly the volume **** on the head unit would not work. The one on the steering worked fine. Additionally I could not get it to act up all the time - so thought that it would either correct itself or get worse.

Just like you said. Every time you push a button a CD would eject. At first thought it was quite amusing but decided to leave in 2 CD's for the dealer to eject for me.

A new radio is on order.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast

Just had the same thing happen, plus the volume maxed out, as I turned it down it kept going up, freaked me out...

Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 AM

The illuminated frame around the radio area on my '07 TCH would go off and on ever 10 minutes or so which was annoying. After driving the cars a few years the display would turn to gibberish. At times I could not get it to play am or fm. I dropped by to ask the tech about the frame illumination. When I mentioned the gibberish readout, he said it's defective and will order me a replacement. A few days later he replaced the unit and I never had any other problems including the frame which lit as it should.

My advice drop by the toyota service department and tell them the problems you having with it. If you car is new it should easily be in warranty. If doubtful be sure to ask if their will be any charges.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:58 PM

Who do we call?

Ghost Busters!!