Random beeps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 06:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Question Random beeps?

So I know it's happened occasionally before, or at least once before, but yesterday I managed to get two unexpected long beeps which I still have no clue about.

I got one in the morning, I think when I was getting out of the car after commuting to work. I opened the door, and as I was getting out, got a BEEEEEEEEEEEP. No clue what it was about, but since I hadn't closed the door yet and was fairly confident the fob hadn't fallen out of my pocket, I knew it wasn't the "you're trying to lock the door while the key's inside, idiot!" beep. I went ahead and tried just closing the door to see what it did, and it just stopped beeping, I locked it and walked away, and that was it.

Then got another last night, after making a stop on my way home. I believe it was just as I opened the door to get back in this time--opened the door, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. I got in, closed the door, started up, drove home.

No sign either time what might have been going on. Any thoughts?

Old 12-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Random beeps?

When any of the doors are not securely closed. A beep will sound continuously for 10 seconds.
When the lock button is pressed while opening or closing the door. A beep will sound continuously for 10 seconds.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:25 AM

Both of these were while the door was wide open, once while getting out of the car so no possible way I was pushing the lock button, and odds of that being the cause while opening it from the outside are pretty slim too.

And I'll point out for general reference, I've got to be one of the earliest owners in here (though I know there are some who have me beat ) as I got mine in mid-June 06. And this isn't something that happens regularly, and may only have happened once or twice before that I can even think of. So twice in one day seems to me to be unlikely to be one of those random silly oops things or I'd have figured it out ages ago (or gone crazy from doing it repeatedly, hehe).

Old 12-04-2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by chestr
So I know it's happened occasionally before, or at least once before, but yesterday I managed to get two unexpected long beeps which I still have no clue about.

I got one in the morning, I think when I was getting out of the car after commuting to work. I opened the door, and as I was getting out, got a BEEEEEEEEEEEP. No clue what it was about, but since I hadn't closed the door yet and was fairly confident the fob hadn't fallen out of my pocket, I knew it wasn't the "you're trying to lock the door while the key's inside, idiot!" beep. I went ahead and tried just closing the door to see what it did, and it just stopped beeping, I locked it and walked away, and that was it.

Then got another last night, after making a stop on my way home. I believe it was just as I opened the door to get back in this time--opened the door, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. I got in, closed the door, started up, drove home.

No sign either time what might have been going on. Any thoughts?
This sounds like you tried to shut the TCH off without putting it in Park. The radio and dash lights go off, but the TCH is NOT powered off, and anyone can hit the power button and drive off

Old 12-04-2007, 08:40 AM

I seem to recall that happening to me when the spare key was in my wife's purse in the trunk.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by nash
This sounds like you tried to shut the TCH off without putting it in Park. The radio and dash lights go off, but the TCH is NOT powered off, and anyone can hit the power button and drive off
Nope. Did nothing, got out of the car, closed the door, beeping stopped, I went to work for several hours, it was fine. It didn't happen when I tried to turn off the car, or when locking the door, it happened when opening the door. I can't think of anything that would get a warning when opening the door. Locking the door with the key inside is a well-established warning. Forgetting to turn the car off and getting out (or trying to lock it?) with they key outside I believe gives a warning. But I wasn't doing any of these things....

Old 12-04-2007, 01:42 PM
SPL

chestr — I have two suggestions. Look at the MFD display's information panel (you can even read it from outside the car) the next time this happens — it should say something. Check the Owner's Manual — it gives a long list of beeps and their causes.

Stan

Old 12-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Along for the ride.....

This car does beep too much though

Old 12-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast

This actually happened to me yesterday. It has happened before as well....
For me the only thing I can remember is that each time it happens I have opened the car door before I push the button to turn the car off. I actually powered the car on and off again because I was paranoid that it would remain ON somehow all night.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's happened to me as well.

There seems to be some sense of a timing sequence to it. If you do some sequence of things I've got the long "beep" as well. Closing the drivers door seems to stop it. I suspect it is some sort of warning, but is getting a bit out of sequence.

Later!

Dang

Quick Reply: Random beeps?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands