Random failure to "start" 2009 TCH

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Random failure to "start" 2009 TCH

We all know the drill: Fasten seat belts, put foot on brake, then hit the 'Start' button. Then the cluster comes to life and the 'Ready' light comes on, and you're set to go.

Lately, I've been having a little problem at random. The Ready light doesn't come on. I know I've got the brake on, I've checked the shifter, and still no Ready light when the car is turned off then back on.

I've had to go through the procedure as many as four or five times before I get the Ready light. I make sure that I've got the brake applied and the shifter in Park, and randomly this thing will just not completely 'boot up'. It's not just me, my wife has had the problem too.

Does anyone else have this happen?

Any tips would be appreciated.
Scott

Old 10-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner
Default Re: Random failure to "start" 2009 TCH

Could be that your 12 volts battery is a little low.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

second Dave's opinion

Old 10-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've only had the issue when I move my hand from the Start button to the shifter too fast. It seems to need a couple of seconds for the Ready light to be on steady before you move the shifter. If you move the shifter before the solid Ready it is a no go. However, it sounds like you are having more trouble than that. That time delay must be the car checking the status of other parts of the car, and something is not passing the check test.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

My experience is that you can move the shifter any time after the beep.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Besides the battery, try having someone look at the brake lights to make sure they are on while you are pressing the brake pedal. The system monitors that circuit on startup and if the switch is starting to go or not adjusted right, they will not be on. If that is OK, have someone check the neutral safety switch to see if it needs to be replaced.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

It may be like looking for a needle in a haystack without a list of "permissives" for the Start. The dealer service should have that list somewhere. Perhaps they would tell you without having to take it in for service.

It is a long shot, but you may want to check the brake fluid level. We bought a new Camry in 1985, and later in life it started to drop out of cruise control at random times. It turned out to be the low brake fluid level switch coming in as the brakes had worn to the point it needed more fluid. It took me some time to figure that one out. Obviously some Toyota engineer decided that normal brake level fluid was a permissive to run in cruise. No idea why.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

whilst we are on cruise ideas. why in the world they can't make cruise light to, actually, come up AFTER cruise is engaged? or, at least, glow amber instead of green, or something.
we have 99 RX300, this TCH here - same difference. never know if cruise is, actually, enaged or not. go figure.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast

Funny thing: I too have an 09 TCH. I usually push the Start button, then fasten the seat belt, then move the shifter. Never had a problem with the car not starting. After reading this post, I tried an experiment. For the past two mornings, I first fastened my seat belt, then hit the Start button, then the shifter. Both mornings the car failed to go "ready". I'll second the earlier post: I probably moved my hand too quickly from the start button to the shifter. Next start, I'll try consciously pausing before I move my hand from the start button to shifter, and see if that makes a difference. You might try that, too.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had it with my 08 and it was that I needed to replace the battery.

Quick Reply: Random failure to "start" 2009 TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands