Rattles resolved

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:02 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rattles resolved

Originally Posted by jbollt
I used the hot water pipe foam, and have not heard the rattle again. However, the rear deck rattle has gotten louder, over uneven surfaces. Perhaps beacuse my tires are almost worn out, (54,000 miles on original Michelins) and I have them at 40lbs.
Did you use several small pieces or did you try fewer, longer pieces? A previous poster also mentioned watching out for the defroster vent, but I'm not sure how wedging this foam between the dash and windshield would block that. Was this an issue for you at all?

Thanks to all who have responded so far. The rattles are really getting to me, but I'm still not eager to let my dealer work on it.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
Did you use several small pieces or did you try fewer, longer pieces? A previous poster also mentioned watching out for the defroster vent, but I'm not sure how wedging this foam between the dash and windshield would block that. Was this an issue for you at all?

Thanks to all who have responded so far. The rattles are really getting to me, but I'm still not eager to let my dealer work on it.

I used two small pieces, about two inches wide...one on the left and one on the right. They are just adjacent to the speaker grill...toward the center of the car. I had read the poster's comments about the defroster vents (I believe it was Stan, AKA SPL), and decided to just use small pieces. It has worked, although I rarely have any use for the defroster here in AZ.

I also did the center console "fix" with the felt tabs very early on, and it has worked. One time it started up again, and I added one more tab, and the console has been quiet since then, which has been about 45,000 addditonal miles. I share your concern with the dealer "tearing into" the dash.

After 54,000 miles, my biggest disapointment with this car has been the interior squeaks/rattles (I have fixed most of them, but I shouldn't have to). However, I knew that was a possibility going in, as my previous 2003 Camry, and 2000 Avalon had similar issues. Part of the fact is that the car is so quiet, those sounds are heard. Many other cars have the same noises, you just can't hear them over the road/wind noise. However, it would seem to me that Toyota could address this. But then I always thought Honda could build quieter cars, yet every Consumer Reports article I read on Hondas, mention road noise as an issue...I guess we make a choice, a few annoying rattles (most fixable) , or constant, tiring road noise.

Last edited by jbollt; 04-14-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-14-2009, 09:24 AM
HSD Organic Interface

I've actually been contemplating over the past few weeks about having this TSB done on my car, but still not sure myself. My 3 yr warranty will be up in June and I don't know if I'll be able to get the TSB done after that if I want to. For the last 2 winters I've been using the hot water foam pipe mostly thru the center part of the dash. It cut down about 70% of the rattle in winter (not a problem in summer), the remaining 30% is on the passenger side only. I think I will get off my butt this weekend and try the short pieces on the passenger side as others have mentioned. I too am a bit hesitant about having my interior dash gutted just for a small rattle. I had that done on another car a few years ago and while it wasn't terrible, it never had that exact tight fit look afterwards.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by SPL
One thing I overlooked is the fact that the windshield defroster's air ducts blow their air through the long gap between the dash and the windshield. One should thus not block too much of this slot — certainly not the whole slot! Further experiments of mine indicate that it's only necessary to insert foam into the two outer portions of the slot, adjacent to the tweeter grilles. (When I experimentally removed the corrugated cardboard packing pieces on the center section, the clicking noise didn't return.) Even on these outer sections one should not block the whole slot. So I intend to insert a couple of small pieces of foam, and not one continuous piece, into these outer slots.

Stan
Stan, could you elaborate on the "long gap between the dash and the windshield" that air blows out? You talking about the place where the dash presses up against the glass? I put my car on defrost, but I really only felt air coming out the center dash "slot" that runs parallel to the windshield but a few inches from the glass. So, a small piece of foam rubber inserted mid-windshield between the dash and the glass will bock some defroster airflow?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, I have also experienced the hated rattling sounds. My TCH is a 2008, made after the VIN sequence in the service bulletin. So, no luck with the dealer.

I've tried the foam rubber insert trick on the dashboard, but I don't think it stayed in. It feels as if it must have fallen into the dashboard, because I can't feel it with my screwdriver. Not surprisingly, the rattle is there still, and I know it's my imagination it seems to be getting louder.

If it wasn't for those rattles, this would be the best car I've ever owned. But, when I buy a Camry, I expect it to be quiet and refined, not rattling and loose-fitting!

Anyone out there with a 2008 TCH with the rattling sound as well?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:01 AM
SPL

bmgoodman — I'm talking about the long, almost-continuous gap between the front edge of the dash molding and the windshield. As far as I'm aware, there is only ONE such gap. The windshield defroster air blows out of this gap. If too much of this gap is obstructed, parts of the windshield will not be properly defogged. The trouble is that it's almost impossible to look down into this gap and see (or feel) where the defroster vent outlets actually are. An inspection mirror can help here. I suggest placing four small pieces of the foam only at the two outer ends of the dash, and also at the junctions between the main dash molding and the removable central section (covering the clock display, etc.).

Stan

Last edited by SPL; 04-25-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by SPL
bmgoodman — I'm talking about the long, almost-continuous gap between the front edge of the dash molding and the windshield. As far as I'm aware, there is only ONE such gap. The windshield defroster air blows out of this gap. If too much of this gap is obstructed, parts of the windshield will not be properly defogged. The trouble is that it's almost impossible to look down into this gap and see (or feel) where the defroster vent outlets actually are. An inspection mirror can help here. I suggest placing four small pieces of the foam only at the two outer ends of the dash, and also at the junctions between the main dash molding and the removable central section (covering the clock display, etc.).

Stan
See, I really don't think the air comes from that gap. The air comes from above the clock but between the clock unit and the glass.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
See, I really don't think the air comes from that gap. The air comes from above the clock but between the clock unit and the glass.
Mikie, I am inclined to agree with you. I cannot feel any air coming out of anywhere except the very obvious slot that sits just between the clock and the day/night sensor for the headlights.

Stan, maybe this is different because you are in the Canada? Maybe there's an extra slot or opening for defroster due to much colder weather?

Old 04-25-2009, 11:18 AM
SPL

bmgoodwin — You're quite right. No, there's no difference between the US and Canadian TCH's in this regard. I should have taken my own advice and used an inspection mirror long ago! The defrost air comes out of the vents in the clock "cover," not out of the narrow slot directly between the molded sections of the dash and the windshield. These vents aim the air so as to cover most of the windshield. But, if you insert packing into the narrow front slot, make sure that it does not protrude significantly, as it may otherwise interfere with the airflow. This is what misled me. Sorry about this!

Stan

Last edited by SPL; 04-25-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Enthusiast

So a small rubber strip will do the trick huh? Anyone done the same to the rear-window area? I notice some rattles back there along the where the plastic covering of the side-airbag housing comes in contact near the window/roof area... and when I turn up the stereo a little bit. Doens't take a lot of volume to get a rattle sometimes. A couple rattles back there, just not sure where they all are. Would have been nice if the interior constuction was a bit nicer but o well just have to fix it up then. So, anyone mess around with the back window area?

Quick Reply: Rattles resolved

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands