Rattles resolved

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Rattles resolved

I had 4 rattles and some other problems, the rattles are resolved, nothing else. 3 of the four have been seen on the Avalon and Camry. Apparently there is too close of a tolerance between the winshield and the dash, and on my TCH what appeared to be 3 separate rattles were actually the two rubbing together. They inserted a piece of rubber insulation, not glued, between the two, they are all gone. He said they do not glue it incase they need to remove it if problem not solved. The next rattle was in the front passenger seatbelt, they siad they repositioned it.

Problems not solved are the radio cutting out when changing modes, they could not duplicate it, the steering clicking, and the car seems to drift to the left even when on the crown of the road, A future visit will do. By the way the dealer will do one alignment before 12/18,000, I will be there before then.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Electricity Guzzler
Default Re: Rattles resolved

I also have the radio problem with it cutting out when switching between modes. They sent my radio out and it came back a week later. Two days later it was cutting out again! I went back they couldn't repeat the problem. I came back the next day when it had cut out again and showed them. They took the radio out and sent it away. I still have a hole in the dash waiting till they call me again. They tech thinks the first time they sent back my orig. radio. The service manager thinks it was an exchange for a new one. Either way I'm not happy with my time being wasted. How exactly did they fix the rattle with the windshield and the dash?

Old 02-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

The detail the mechanic gave me was that he inserted rubber, not foam insulation (because of decomposition of foam due to heat and time) between the winshield and dash with an credit card thichness piece of plastic, the tolerance is that small, across the entire span of the winshield. His feeling is doing just the spot of the rattle or creek, will eventually show up elsewhere.

Last edited by LouBeck; 02-18-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

What do you mean by "runner"? Rubber?

Old 02-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, sorry about the typo, it s rubber not runner.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Old 02-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LouBeck
The detail the mechanic gave me was that he inserted rubber, not foam insulation (because of decomposition of foam due to heat and time) between the winshield and dash with an credit card thichness piece of plastic, the tolerance is that small, across the entire span of the winshield. His feeling is doing just the spot of the rattle or creek, will eventually show up elsewhere.
Do you know if he just wedged it in the gap, or did he remove the dash? (Or did he do something else?) Can you see the rubber from inside the car or from outside looking at the windshield?

Thanks.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

He just wedged it with a flat blade. Unfortunatly it moved and some of the rattle reappeared over the summer with expansion / contraction. I had them play with it again, it still rattles some. At this point the only perminate fix is to do the TSB, and remove the entire dash. I am ok enough with the rattle not to let them remove the entire dash, I feel they will mess up somethine else. If you need the TSB number I have it in my glove box, just reply back and I will get you the image.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the offer of the TSB number. I wouldn't mind having it, but there's no rush. I am not willing to have them disassemble the entire dash to fix this problem. Not yet, anyway. I'm certainly going to try the rubber strip first. If anyone else ends up being a guinea pig for this TSB, though, I'd sure love you to post here!

Regards.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here is the TSB and a picture of some nut off this website who did the repair himself. Sorry the image is not great, not sure where I got the TSB, probally off this website and the pictures are now of poor quality since I had to scan them back,I no longer had the file.

J

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB2790.pdf (686.7 KB, 300 views)

Quick Reply: Rattles resolved

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands