Reading lights don't turn off automatically

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Reading lights don't turn off automatically

Just a heads-up, it seems that the reading lights in the back seat don't turn off by themselves. You have to make sure they get turned off manually when you leave the car. If you have kids that like to read this can be a challenge.

- Paul
P.S. If anyone knows how to change this behavior please speak up!

Old 09-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Reading lights don't turn off automatically

Don't they turn off after twenty minutes as I thought the manual stated ?

Old 09-28-2006, 03:07 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by wallpad
Just a heads-up, it seems that the reading lights in the back seat don't turn off by themselves. You have to make sure they get turned off manually when you leave the car. If you have kids that like to read this can be a challenge.

- Paul
P.S. If anyone knows how to change this behavior please speak up!
I couldn't find anything. But the system does turn off all accessories after a certain period of time to save the battery. SO if the kids leave them on, they should go off after 30 minutes or less. Check the owners manual or do a test to see how long before they go off.

Of course, when you restart the car, they will come back on. Then you would have to turn them off manually.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Too Smug

This happened to me this past weekend (my son was in the back seat). The reading lights remained on after the car was turned off. They remained on all night, but this had no impact on my ability to start the car in the morning.

Last edited by Sallyspal; 09-28-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sallyspal
This happened to me this past weekend (my son was in the back seat). The reading lights remained on after the car was turned off. They remained on all night, but this had no impact on my ability to start the car in the morning.
'Tis true. One day, I was sitting in the car reading the owner's manual while listening to the stereo when the whole system went dead. 'Cool,' I thought. Alas, the nifty power-off gizmo is not tied into the rear reading lights and they will stay on 'till the end of time. It's like Toyota engineers never had kids...

Old 09-29-2006, 04:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

On all Toyotas equiped with the "battery-saver feature" front ceiling lights when not turned on manually (means leave the front switch to the DOOR setting) will go off if front driver or passenger door is left open (did not tried with rear doors open, but it should work as well) after 20 min. (i.e. 2007 TCH) and 30 min. (i.e. 2006 Sienna). I have performed these tests couple of times on both 2006 Sienna and 2007 TCH successfully.

Last edited by agnosto; 09-29-2006 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Reading lights don't turn off automatically

A 9-year-old left my rear reading light on last weekend, too! Luckily, after I had locked the car she noticed it and let me know.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
A 9-year-old left my rear reading light on last weekend, too! Luckily, after I had locked the car she noticed it and let me know.
What, did you Rent-a-kid? Steve, if yer ever in the Seattle area and need a couple of kids for a while, let me know. You can rent mine, two-fer-one!