Rear Deck Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Rear Deck Rattle?

It seems that I have developed a rattle in the rear deck, sometimes over imperfect pavement, and often with bass from the excellent sound system. Anyone else have this rattle? Hard to troubleshoot this from the driver's seat!

I thought I had seen a thread here on rear deck rattles, but after a search, I can't seem to locate that thead. If anyone can help, either send me in the right direction to a thread, or with a DIY fix, I would be greatful.

The former "console crickets" were easily fixed in a matter of minutes, due to this excellent forum's instructions and pictures.

Thanks!

Last edited by jbollt; 02-06-2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rear Deck Rattle?

Jeff,

By "rear deck" -- do you mean the rear shelf (where speakers and the HV battery vents are) or do you mean the trunk lid? If the trunk lid, it may be the license plate vibrating against the trunk lid. I fixed this by putting small Velcro pads between bottom part of license plate and the lid.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by JHSmith
Jeff,

By "rear deck" -- do you mean the rear shelf (where speakers and the HV battery vents are) ....
Yes, I mean the rear shelf...in my youth it was called a "parcel shelf" before we decided that "parcels" become "projectiles" in upon sudden deceleration.

Thanks for the tip on the trunk lid.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:47 AM
Electricity Guzzler

I also have an occasional rear deck thump. It appears over solid bumps. In Canada there is a TSB for the rear suspension. The tech has ordered a vibration, isolation and sound kit for my car. (I don't know what that means, maybe rubber bushings.

Sound can take weird path when transmitting through the car and to your ears. This can be deceptive. Possibly it's the rear suspension and not the deck. When I think of the times, I hear my rear deck thump, it does occur when the suspesion is rebounding, maybe the dampening is off that's why the TSB was released. I spoke to Toyota Canada yesterday and they weren't forthcoming. The person I spoke to was unable to explain exactly what the kit was.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast

I have the same intermittent rattle apparently coming from the vent area just behind the back seat. It is annoying when it happens.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:46 PM

OK..I spent a few minutes in the back seat, with the car in the garage this afternoon...tapping on the rear shelf, seems to produce the same rattle/vibration I get while driving, or with high bass on the audio system. It just seems to be loosly attached...or perhaps, not insulated underneath...Anyone have any experience in removing this plastic shelf and battery vent panel???

(gotta love Tucson in the winter! 80 degrees last few days..but we pay for our mild winters in the summer!)

Thanks

Old 02-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Malcontent

As I may have mentioned before, I get a rear deck rattle when playing music with lots of bass or when driving on bumpy roads. This happens at all temperatures.

With the car parked, the stereo on, and sitting in the back seat, I managed to trace the rattle (at least the stereo bass-induced rattle) to the battery vent. If I apply pressure at the top edge and rear base of the vent ("tipping" the whole thing backwards), the rattle goes away. I haven't found a way to non-destructively remove the vent assembly to insulate it so I've been trying to remove the entire rear deck trim assembly. Even with the service manual, it's taking awhile. So far, I have the 4 clips disengaged so that the assembly slides back and forth a bit but I haven't been able to pull it out. It seems to be hung up on something (the claws or maybe the seats).

I will resume my efforts later today or tomorrow.

If I get this fixed then I only have to deal with the windshield "clack" to get a rattle-free car.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:22 PM

Eric, I applaud your efforts, and I am anxiously awaiting your results. And many thanks for being the pioneer here, and posting your methods as a "DIY" project for others like myself.

The only other rattle I had was the center console crickets, and that I easily fixed with many thanks to this very great group of folks here, who posted pictures and instructions.

Just one of the many reasons I LOVE the TCH, is this supportive forum....

here here!!

Old 02-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Malcontent

I think I got it.

I just need to road test for awhile and then I'll post pictures and instructions.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
It seems that I have developed a rattle in the rear deck, sometimes over imperfect pavement, and often with bass from the excellent sound system. Anyone else have this rattle? Hard to troubleshoot this from the driver's seat!

I thought I had seen a thread here on rear deck rattles, but after a search, I can't seem to locate that thead. If anyone can help, either send me in the right direction to a thread, or with a DIY fix, I would be greatful.

The former "console crickets" were easily fixed in a matter of minutes, due to this excellent forum's instructions and pictures.

Thanks!
Mine were really bad, moderate bass would have back deck buzzing. I jammed some rubber bumpers between third stop light and deck to help, but it still did it, just less frequent. I finally ditched my TCH because the interior build quality was so bad.

Quick Reply: Rear Deck Rattle?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands