Rear Spoiler Alternative

Old 04-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Rear Spoiler Alternative

Hey Everyone,

This is one of those “If I only knew then” subjects. I bought my Camry Hybrid a year and a half ago. One of the first things I did was have the dealer install the factory rear spoiler. I really did not like it very much because I preferred the ones that sit higher and are in the air stream. I went to the dealer because I did not know how else I could get a painted part that matched the car.

I don’t know if this part was available then, but it definitely is now!!!

If you want the sportier spoiler that sits off the car, with the auxiliary brake light you can get the Custom Spoiler from Factory Wings: http://www.factorywings.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=24

They sell it primed for about $100 and if you give them the color code off of the label in the driver side door, they will paint the part for you. The painted part costs about $200. In fact the custom spoiler is a less expensive than the factory one!!!

I ordered the Razzi Ground Effects kit from Factory Wings and it arrived in great shape. They did a great job with the finish and the paint matched perfectly - I’ll be posting that thread shortly. Keep loving this car!!

Last edited by Randyman; 04-15-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rear Spoiler Alternative

I not usually one for spoilers but that looks nice. Good work!

Old 04-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

I, also, have an '07 TCH (purchased Aug '06) and had a Toyota dealership install the rear spoiler.

Question(s): Will the Razzi attachment screws fit in the holes drilled for the "standard" spoiler, or would I need to drill NEW holes? Also, would the old holes be exposed and need to be sealed, sanded and painted?

Old 04-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I wanted the higher spoiler, however it is the wife's car, and she chose the factory low spoiler. Can't win them all!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey John,

We think alike and that is the first question I asked Razzi!!!

Unfortunately, we bought the factory spoiler and that is installed in six holes drilled in the rear of the trunk lid. The custom wing is installed in 6 holes drilled on top of the trunk lid. I think there is one extra hole for the brake light wire. You could remove the factory wing, but there would be 6 holes to plug, sand and paint.

Another alternative would be to offer to trade your trunk lid with someone who has the same color Camry who has not installed a spoiler but wants one. You could throw in your installed wing and they’d save $200. It is only 4 - 10mm hex bolts to remove the trunk lid!! Just take off your license plate and disconnect all the cables. Start a post, you never know!!!

Last edited by Randyman; 04-10-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Randyman
Hey John,

We think alike and that is the first question I asked Razzi!!!

Unfortunately, we bought the factory spoiler and that is installed in six holes drilled in the rear of the trunk lid. The custom wing is installed in 6 holes drilled on top of the trunk lid. I think there is one extra hole for the brake light wire. You could remove the factory wing, but there would be 6 holes to plug, sand and paint.

BUMMER!

Guess I'll stay w/ my current set up until I get rear-ended -- Wait, guess I could do ye olde "Swoop-and-Squat" maneuver that many insurance rip-off "artists" perform. (Just Kidding!)

Old 04-12-2008, 03:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

I definitely feel your pain and I have to file it under - "If I knew then"!!! I did check and MagAuto will sell you a trunk lid for about $370 + $30 shipping: http://www.magauto.com/default.asp?i...catalogid=3408

No choice of colors so you would have to get it painted.

Even I am not that motivated. Also, in it's own way the factory spoiler looks pretty cool!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I believe this Razzi custom spoiler is actually a Nissan Sentra wing. 2002-2006 I think? Comments anyone? I have My wife thinking about changing to it. We have already purchased the Barcelona red lip spoiler. I told her to decide before I start drilling, after that we have what we have!

They both look nice, anyone going to start a poll on which looks better? LOL!