Rear turn signal bulbs and LED replacements

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rear turn signal bulbs and LED replacements

in the canadian model the drl's are the high beam at 50/60 percent power which consume about 72 wats when the engine is on. I was planning on disabling the drl's and using the web-electric kit changing my turn signals into drl's. to properly do this I need high wattage but lower power led's. I have done this on other cars where running the standard dual turn/marker bulb has caused heat issues, and actually distorted the lamp housing assembly.

I now need high luminance output bulbs which operate in led mode to replace the factory turn signals. I see there are 3 watt bulbs, however I have received info on 5 watt single led bulbs which will eliminate the "bulb out" warning from the dash.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tharvey
in the canadian model the drl's are the high beam at 50/60 percent power which consume about 72 wats when the engine is on. I was planning on disabling the drl's and using the web-electric kit changing my turn signals into drl's. to properly do this I need high wattage but lower power led's. I have done this on other cars where running the standard dual turn/marker bulb has caused heat issues, and actually distorted the lamp housing assembly.

I now need high luminance output bulbs which operate in led mode to replace the factory turn signals. I see there are 3 watt bulbs, however I have received info on 5 watt single led bulbs which will eliminate the "bulb out" warning from the dash.
Yes, the DRL setup is the same for the US models.

You'll need a load leveling resistor just as I will. It depend on the wattage the system is expending. See http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm for ideas. They are called "load equalizers" on that page and are in the third row.

I don't know if there are any LED bulbs that will output that much light. You might have to build your own with a few 5w LEDs. You could even build one that changes color. That is, if the turn signal is on it is flashing amber, other wise, it is solid white. (Autolumination has a similar bulb but I doubt it is bring enough...)

Could you post the link to the web-electric kit?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-12-2008, 01:25 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I noticed some cars that had a string of LED brake lights (4 or 5 in a row) actually bothered my eyesight. Not sure how to describe it, but at night when the car in front put on it's brakes, the piercing nature of the lights 'burned' in my vision for a second or two creating an optical distortion, like my eyes remembered the red lights even when I looked elsewhere. (Like the 'burned in' effect that computer monitors used to get).
Again, I'm not sure how to describe this, and I know it sounds crazy, but I prefer seeing regular bulbs instead of LED brake lights. It's not a comfortable light to look at.

Last edited by haroldo; 10-12-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:48 AM

Superbrightleds and autolumination are the same company.

Try Velocity LEDs, V-LEDs, in ebay.

I replaced the european 5 watt halogen DRL bulbs with LEDs from lumileds.

On my cars I located the bulb failure sensor module and changed the current sensing resistor to a higher value so the LED bulbs satify the requirement.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
Superbrightleds and autolumination are the same company.

Try Velocity LEDs, V-LEDs, in ebay.

I replaced the european 5 watt halogen DRL bulbs with LEDs from lumileds.

On my cars I located the bulb failure sensor module and changed the current sensing resistor to a higher value so the LED bulbs satify the requirement.
Funny that if those two companies are the same, they do not carry the same products...not at all.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm thinkin that I'd just stick with the OEM replacement from the Toyota dealer.

I normally don't hesitate to mess with stuff, but the TCH is so full of technology, I'm afraid that I'd mess something up that cost a whole lot more than a lightbulb.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
Maybe it's just me, but I noticed some cars that had a string of LED brake lights (4 or 5 in a row) actually bothered my eyesight. Not sure how to describe it, but at night when the car in front put on it's brakes, the piercing nature of the lights 'burned' in my vision for a second or two creating an optical distortion, like my eyes remembered the red lights even when I looked elsewhere. (Like the 'burned in' effect that computer monitors used to get).
Again, I'm not sure how to describe this, and I know it sounds crazy, but I prefer seeing regular bulbs instead of LED brake lights. It's not a comfortable light to look at.
You are correct, IMMHO, many of the newer OEM LED lights, in braking mode, or FAR TOO BRIGHT. What is probably needed is a ruling that the brightness level should be automatically reduced once the vehicle comes to a full stop.

Or even a different method of attention getting, getting the attention of the rear oncoming driver that the brakes are in use, or even some way to indicate that the brakes are in EXTREMELY heavy USE.

The high mount brake light is/was a good start.

But how about a way to notify the rear oncoming driver that the brakes are being used so severely, or the roadbed is so slippery, that ABS has activated...??

Old 10-14-2008, 07:20 PM

Well, I am putting this LED thing on hold for now. It shall be pending more free time.

As a side, the bulb from my Toyota dealer is about $7.50. However, the part department said it is covered under the new car warranty and I am picking put the bulb tomorrow.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...de/default.htm

2007-2009 TOYOTA Camry

Low beam headlamp
H11-55W

High beam headlamp
9005SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
9005ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
9005XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
9005CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

Parking light
3457ALL
3457AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

Front turn signal
3457ALL
3457AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

Rear turn signal
992 (7440A)

Tail light
194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Stop light

High mount stop light
Assembly

Fog/Driving light
H11-55W

License plate
2825LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Back up light
921LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker

Rear sidemarker

Glove box

Map light

Dome light
DE3175

Step/Courtesy light
168LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Trunk/Cargo area
194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

If using LEDs for turn signals, you'll need load resistor (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...26.3549&next=0). You'll need "RL-650 Tail Light Load Resistor kit" and LED bulbs.

Autolumination and SuperBrightLEDs are two different companies. They are located in different states, charge different prices and carry different products.

I have LED taillights. Its the same brightness that you'll find on Camry Hybrid, Acura or any other cars

Old 11-04-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by dcemureviews
[If using LEDs for turn signals, you'll need load resistor (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...26.3549&next=0). You'll need "RL-650 Tail Light Load Resistor kit" and LED bulbs.
Or replace the flasher which appears to be located directly behind the dash cluster. When I feel like spending $50 on two bulbs and a flasher I'll do the job and write up a DIY.

Quick Reply: Rear turn signal bulbs and LED replacements

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands