Recommended oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Recommended oil?

While poking around under the hood of my TCH, realizing I don't have a clue as to what most of this stuff is, I identified the dip stick (kinda felt like a dipstick myself) and oil cap. The oil cap (and manual) recommends SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20. No, I did not mis-type: zeroW-20. I've never heard of this. It's gotta be as runny as vegitable oil. And then the thought occured to me: do I go with conventional or synthetic? All that starting and stopping's gotta be brutal on the oil.

Anybody have a suggestion as to what I should put into this car to maximize life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Thanks.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:30 PM
mak
Banned
Default Re: Recommended oil?

Mobil 1 Synthetic For those who change their oil 2 twice a year

Old 06-05-2006, 04:56 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

The Honda Civic Hybrid also uses 0w20. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic, and change my oil every 10k miles, in accordance with the owner's manual.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:01 AM
HSD Organic Interface

I read some comments about the Prius that the ICE rotates at a low rpm when cruising or coasting even when the gas is shutdown, I guess to make starts easier if they become necessary. If thats really the case then I guess it would make sense to have a very thin oil, as you would need to lubricate an ICE that is not running all the time and therefore might not be operating as hot as a normal ICE. Just my guess...

Old 06-05-2006, 09:35 AM

Is the oil recommendation different with the standard 4-cylinder Camry (2007) versus the TCH? If yes, what do they recommend for it?

Old 06-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Prius geek
Smile Re: Recommended oil?

The starting and stopping in HSD is WAY different than conventional gas engines: the generator-motor spins the engine up to 1,000 RPM with no fuel or spark, with very little compression to restrain the spin-up. Compare that with a regular gas engine that is always under compression being spun by an anemic 300-400 RPM starter, all the while with spark and fuel present...hoping the whole thing 'catches' and fires up.

Completely non-issue in HSD, as far as starting the gas engine.

I'm using Mobil 1 5W20 syn, changed every 5K per owners warranty/maintenance book. Could be overkill (every 5K), but it's realy about my peace of mind with synthetics better lubricating and cooling and viscosity ratings versus straight-up dino oil.

YMMV.

Cheers,

Curt.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:35 PM

Great stuff. Thanks for the info. My TCH replaces a 1995 Dodge Neon. I usually picked the oil based on how pretty the smoke was.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Banned

Get that mobile 1 synthetic oil. I usually change my oil every 15K. Or every 6 months.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:12 PM
The Regenerator

BB:

1) Did you realize you responded to a thread that's been dead for approximately 2.5 YEARS?

2) "Mobile", with an "E" on the end is one of two things, a thing you hang over your baby's crib; or it's a mid-sized city on the Alabama gulf coast. "Mobil", with no "E" on the end, is the brand name of a family of products sold By Exxon-Mobil. The oil often used in the TCH is "Mobil-1".

Old 10-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

0W is the only way to go. 0W is full synthetic oil. It improves cold starting, lubricates the valve train better and improves your gas mileage about 1 to 1 1/2 mpg.

Yea, they should say last post was 06-05-2006 or maybe highlight the Title line in Red.

Quick Reply: Recommended oil?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands