Recommended snow chains for TCH

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Recommended snow chains for TCH

Can someone recommend some easy to use snow / tire chains for the TCH. (Chain, cable, etc.)

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Recommended snow chains for TCH

If you have a need for traction devices, tire chains, etc, on a regular basis then you should NOT be driving a FWD vehicle. "Tire chains" can only be effective on the drive wheels and putting tire chains on only the front of a FWD vehicle can turn HAZARDOUS in an instant.

If you insist on doing so anyway then I would advise "tire chains" front and rear simultaneously, as your owners manual directs, or otherwise NEVER driving above DEAD SLOW with tire chains on the front only.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 AM

i didn't see anything from mike suggesting he wouldn't put on all 4 wheels but that is good to know. anyway, where do you live? if you are gettting a lot of snow, why not invest in a set of dedicated snow tires?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by livvie
i didn't see anything from mike suggesting he wouldn't put on all 4 wheels but that is good to know. anyway, where do you live? if you are gettting a lot of snow, why not invest in a set of dedicated snow tires?
Snow tires do no good on an icy/slippery surface such as a patch of black ice. Snow, winter specialty tires are only of any good if the surface is "soft" or "loose" enough for the tread to have "bite". You are much better off staying with nice quiet and more comfirtably riding summer only tires and then installing chains in the rare times, generlally, of need.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
If you have a need for traction devices, tire chains, etc, on a regular basis then you should NOT be driving a FWD vehicle. "Tire chains" can only be effective on the drive wheels and putting tire chains on only the front of a FWD vehicle can turn HAZARDOUS in an instant.

If you insist on doing so anyway then I would advise "tire chains" front and rear simultaneously, as your owners manual directs, or otherwise NEVER driving above DEAD SLOW with tire chains on the front only.
I am not an idiot. I have driven in snow plenty of times with 4WD and 2WD. And yes, only with chains on the FWD. In CA/NV (the Sierra Nevada), that's how it's done. It not HAZARD in an instant to put only chains on the FWD axle - it's been done that way for years. Yes, and you drive slow.

Obviously 4WD is best. But in some mountain areas, you are required to carry and use chains when directed (which are not needed below the snow level, ex Sierra Nevada).

I'm just asking if there is a chain or cable someone with a TCH has used and recommends.

Last edited by mikecism; 11-12-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
Snow tires do no good on an icy/slippery surface such as a patch of black ice. Snow, winter specialty tires are only of any good if the surface is "soft" or "loose" enough for the tread to have "bite". You are much better off staying with nice quiet and more comfirtably riding summer only tires and then installing chains in the rare times, generlally, of need.
I don't know, I've lived in NH for many years and have gone through every type of road condition imaginable and have never needed to use chains. I've haven't had a situation where my snow tires couldn't handle it.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikecism
Can someone recommend some easy to use snow / tire chains for the TCH. (Chain, cable, etc.)

Thanks.
To answer part of your question, I recommend these "Quick Fit Diamond chains" from Les Schwab
http://lesschwab6.reachlocal.net/tir...ter/chains.asp

They are not cheap but easy to put on and take off.

For snow tires, I bought Blizzaks last year from Tire Rack. Picked them up at Tire Rack and didn't have to pay shipping!

Just what I'm using that has worked for me. Like you mentioned, the Sierra can require chains sometimes!

John

Old 11-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

This IS a great thing to question and find out....

I live in a non snow area and a couple times a year drive up to Tahoe (Sierra Nevada) and was wondering what chains to use. You carry them in case you need them due to snow flurries covering the roads.

Once the roads get a chance to be cleared, you can take them off and put them in the trunk in case needed again.

LOL to the people who live elsewhere!

Old 11-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Guys,

Not that I need chains in Georgia (other than to help pull out a stump with my truck) but the manual on pages 166 to 169 gives the specs for chains. They are also used ONLY on the front axle. I have used them in the past and prefer using a cable style instead of chains (they just seemed easier to use) but the manual does not mention them.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think what Mikecism is referring to is when this sign appears:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres...s_required.jpg

Needed or not, you must have the chains on or the highway patrol will issue a ticket. Count me in as one who would like a good recommendation.

Quick Reply: Recommended snow chains for TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands