Remote Starters: What are the options

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default Remote Starters: What are the options

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to solve the mystery of what my options are for remote starters for my 2009 Camry Hybrid.

I've read stories/rumors in the past that Hybrids cannot use traditional remote starters as they can fry the electronics. I've talked to my dealership and remote car starter places and I cannot find anyone who in confidence can say what my options are for my Hybrid. My local dealership up here outsources it to a company here in town but he wasn't able to say for sure what was okay and what wasn't okay.

I know that Toyota has one, but the dealership tells me it isn't very good. I want to know without a doubt, what I can do and what I shouldn't do because I do not want to destroy anything nor do I want to void my warranty.

What options do I have, if any at all?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Remote Starters: What are the options

I have to admit that I have never even thought about a remote starter on my Camry hybrid. I use the one on my F-350 diesel a lot to help get it up to temp but the hybrid is usually warmed up with a mile or two of home.

I'm not even sure if any aftermarket kits are available as our hybrids do not have your "normal" type of engine cranking or running modes.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
I have to admit that I have never even thought about a remote starter on my Camry hybrid. I use the one on my F-350 diesel a lot to help get it up to temp but the hybrid is usually warmed up with a mile or two of home.

I'm not even sure if any aftermarket kits are available as our hybrids do not have your "normal" type of engine cranking or running modes.
This is the exact information I am looking for in regards to what my options are. I recently moved to Minnesota so the desire to find a solution was amped up in the past few days.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid

I already told him at TN forum, that 1. he'll have to keep fob inside for RS to work and 2. likely, it will not work anyway due to the way HSD operates.
Man had doubts and wanted to check, so he did.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Well, at least we had the same answer......